cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using existing external loader to program very similar board

AMerc.4
Senior

Hello,

if try to reproduce the STM32H743-EVAL board, is it possible to program its NOR FLASH (MT25TL01GHBB8ESF) if i use the existing external loader? I think the answer is yes. However, i can put in my board just the STM32H743II MCU instead of the STM32H743XI present in the original board.

Before i try to do this, will the programmer returns error if i try to program my custom board?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It doesn't query if it is the 1Gbit part, or pair of 512Kbit ones. It doesn't verify it can talk to it properly, although the memory read/verify is apt to fail if expectations aren't met.

It makes assumptions about the size of the memory device, and the command set.

It also doesn't double check if it is a H743, H745, H750, etc, so the loaders are reasonably interchangeable provided that the QSPI connectivity is consistent. Some of the DISCO and EVAL examples use different combinations, so there is some flexibility there in terms of finding a loader that matches. The loaders can also be patched.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

It doesn't check the part#, what's typically critical are the specific GPIO pins and the HSE​

What do you mean with "It doesn't check the part#"?

It doesn't query if it is the 1Gbit part, or pair of 512Kbit ones. It doesn't verify it can talk to it properly, although the memory read/verify is apt to fail if expectations aren't met.

It makes assumptions about the size of the memory device, and the command set.

It also doesn't double check if it is a H743, H745, H750, etc, so the loaders are reasonably interchangeable provided that the QSPI connectivity is consistent. Some of the DISCO and EVAL examples use different combinations, so there is some flexibility there in terms of finding a loader that matches. The loaders can also be patched.

Thank you! I'll make a board with the same GPIO configuration of the EVALUATION one, and i let you know if it will works.

could you please comment if it worked, i am plannig to use an STM32H743II.

The "Copy Exactly" approach tends work when executed faithfully...

The Dual 300mil SOIC-16 footprint of many of the DISCO boards provides for a wider array of part choices.

Loaders and QSPI BSP code can address specific part and pin choices. Had success here with assorted MICRON and WINBOND parts.