cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F722ZE Error: Mass erase operation failed. Please verify flash protection. STM32F722ZE

yellowtomato
Associate II

I debuged my software on the STM32F722ZE, when I suddenly lost connection to it. I tried to connect to it with ST-Link V2 and Segger J-Link.

Error message from J-Link commander is: Can not attach to CPU. Trying connect under reset. Connecting to CPU via connect under reset failed.

Error message from ST-Link V2: Error finishing flash operation. Failed to erase memoy.

See picture: 0693W00000APoBiQAL.pngI then took a look at the config with CubeProgrammer:

0693W00000APo8yQAD.pngHow is it possible to have 0xFF as RDP Byte?

0693W00000APoCHQA1.pngWrite protection is not active are all checked.

When I try to perform a mass erase I get Error: Mass erase operation failed.

How can I recover from this? Is it possible that I locked myself our by acciedent? I would say it is rather unlikely to do this while debugging. What else could have happend?

Thank you in advance for every answer.

0693W00000APo8oQAD.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Zaher
Senior II

I just encountered the same error when I was trying to do "Erase Chip" from within CubeProgrammer. I have the latest version downloaded yesterday. This was on the STM32H747-DISCO board with STLink-V3.

Error message: "Mass erase operation failed. Please verify flash protection" but no protection has been applied to any sector of the flash whatsoever. I did full chip erase/programming dozens of times yesterday, but suddenly today it didn't work out. After spending some time trying to figure out what happened, I found that the problem lies in the FW of the STLINK. One of the demo projects opened in the IDE asked me to upgrade its firmware, which I did. After that, the problem appeared.

Here's what I did to solve it:

1- Open ST-Link Utility

2- From ST-LINK drop down menu go to > Firmware update

3- Click on Device Connect

4- Make sure MCO output is set to "Default (HSI/2 8MHz)

5- Click "yes>>>>" to upgrade FW and restart the tool

That's it. Now, I can do full chip erase in both of ST-Link Utility and CubeProgrammer.

Zaher

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @yellowtomato​ ,

Let me first welcome you to the STM32 Community =)

I added the right topics to your question in order to increase its chance to be reviewed by our experts.

You might try updating the STLinkV2 firmware.

What is the release of Cubeprogrammer used ? Make sure to use and test with the latest STM32CubeProgrammer V 2.7.0.

Then, please keep me informed about your update.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Houda GHABRI
ST Employee

Hi @yellowtomato​ ,

Can you measure the power supply of the board ?

This behavior is typical when the VDD power supply is drops down.

Houda

Hello,

thank you for the welcome.

I already used  STM32CubeProgrammer V 2.7.0. I updated the ST-Link to V2.J38.S7 and tested again. This did not change anything.

Power Supply should be okay. I can not see it dropping down. I use the same powe supply for weeks now and before the issue I never had any problems with it. Should I measure the power supply at the MCU? Maybe something happened to the board.

Measure voltages at VDD, VDDA, and VCAP pins

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Houda GHABRI
ST Employee

Hi,

yes exactly you should measure the the power supply at the MCU.

Houda

I measured this when the ST-Link was not attached: VDDA = 3.27V ; VDD= 3,27V ; VCAP = 1,221V

edit: should I message the what happens when I try to connect the debugger?

SN.1
Associate

Hi, In continuation to the error I am using STM32L4R9I with macronix Octa flash and I am getting the same error "Mass erase operation failed." is their any feedback from ST team

Peter Chang
Associate III

MX25LM51245G has a RESET# pin. Please make sure this pin is in high stage.