cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeProgrammer works fine with NUCLEO STM32F767ZI but fails to find NUCLEO STM32F446RE.

kj.obara
Associate III

Hi, I have 2 Nucleo boards: NUCLEO STM32F767ZI (F4) and NUCLEO STM32F446RE (F7).

I'm using macOS 10.15.4 omn MacBook Pro 2017 with STM32CubeProgrammer 2.4.0 and stlink tools from brew (GitHub.com/texane/stlib).

When I plug in F4 over USB-C to USB-Mini then neither Cube Programmer or stlink command line tool can find it. The device is powered properly and begins the blinking demo.

But when I use F7 over USB-C to USB-Micro then both tools properly identify the board and the IC and I can program it over built-in ST-LINK.

So would anyone know what might be the issue with F4? Am I using wrong cable (unfortunately it's the only one I have) or maybe do I need to do anything with the jumpers? I just took both boards from their boxes and plugged them in. And as described F7 works fine, but F4 is not discoverable...

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kj.obara
Associate III

Phew, it was only the cable. I got a new one and my F4 device connected and let Cube Programmer read its memory. Success. And obviously a non-issue.

Thank you for your help TDK!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TDK
Guru

Can the STM32CubeProgrammer find the ST-Link on the board? Or can it not find that either?

There are some jumpers which need connected to link ST-Link to the target processor, but those are installed by default.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

No, it doesn't see any thing. Regardless of selection (ST-LINK, USB etc.) it's always no device available with F4, whereas F7 immediately shows up with its ID and more detailed information.

TDK
Guru

If you see "No ST-LINK detected," that indicates a hardware failure. Maybe ESD damage or something. There is no jumper setting that disconnects the ST-Link chip from the USB.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Ouch, you think it's that bad? Well, I'll ask around and try to get a different USB cable, but if it indeed is ESD damage the main IC executes the blinking program just fine, so hopefully the main part of the board is intact.

kj.obara
Associate III

Phew, it was only the cable. I got a new one and my F4 device connected and let Cube Programmer read its memory. Success. And obviously a non-issue.

Thank you for your help TDK!

TDK
Guru

Glad you got it sorted out! So it was a hardware error, just not the hardware I expected.