cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link firmware verification - No ST-LINK detected found a strange way to fix

yunia.3
Associate II

I have been struggled for several days. I have to plug in the board very quick and open the firmware update page on stm32 cubeIDE and update. After update, I can debug and can only last for 5 to 10 seconds. After that, I have to unplug and replug again and update the firmware again to be able to debug. Otherwise, keep showing: ST-Link firmware verification - No ST-LINK detected

19 REPLIES 19
LaurentL
ST Employee

stlink server is installed when you install STM32CubeIde with installer.

No need to reinstall it.

I don't understand your issue "laptop does not know to start stlink" ?

If you have connected the usb of stlink, usb enumerates and you see it in device manager, so it is started and should work.

Maybe you played with jumpers on Nucleo board ?

The two jumpers for STLink debug should be on if you see it in device manager.

I don't know how to help, try the board and usb cable on another computer to check that the hardware is ok.

And mass erase the device on this computer.

Then try again on this laptop.

Rgds,

Laurent

Paul1
Lead

Possibly the Laptop USB Port damaged and can't supply enough power?

Is STLink directly connected to Laptop, or through a USB Hub?

• If STLink directly connected to Laptop: try putting a powered USB hub between so laptop doesn't have to power STLink
  • If Hub between: Try removing it and directly plugging ST Link into Laptop USB Port.
  • What kind of USB ports does laptop have (USB1, USB2, USB3, USBC...)

Paul

Hi

I tried a lot of times, only first several seconds can detect the st-link on Cube Programmer. And every time if I want to fix this, I have to plug in the usb and quickly open the firmware upgrades in CubeIDE or Cube programmer, and do the upgrade. After upgrade, I have to debug within several seconds to be able to find the st link. After several seconds, when I try to debug again, it losts st-link and shows the message again:No ST-LINK detected. I changed a laptop but still using thinkpad and does not work. All the usb driver is updated and the st0link debug can show in the "device manager". Where to find the two jumpers for STLink debug should be on in device manager and what are the names for the two jumpers

Hello,

i did all what you said step by step and the same problem still appears, knowing that i can program the board using TouchGFX so the board is okey. i'm using STM32H747I discovery and CubeIDE 1.5.1 , is there any other solution ? if you want, you can check my problem remotely.

Best Regards,

Do you have the same issue as me? No st-link detected?

The STLink directly connected to Laptop and I tried use a usb hub and use usb type c on laptop and still not work.

I always use regular usb A in the past.

Hi,

I was talking about the 2 jumpers on the Nucleo to debug the mcu but it is not on all nucleo boards.

And if you can debug, they are ok.

If you can see the stlink for a few seconds, maybe it is the overcurrent limitation (PC shuts down the usb port).

Try to boot in bootloader mode to erase the device with CubeProgrammer.

To do that, you should set the Boot0 pin to VDD with a wire when you supply the board.

Boot0 pin is available on the headers.

After mass erase, you can remove the wire and reboot the board.

Rgds,

Laurent

Paul1
Lead
  1. Exit TouchGFX before running CubeIDE, Don't run IDE and TouchGFX at same time (till that issue is fixed)
  2. Is board powered by STLink during Programming? If yes then check Power consumption of your board. Consider powering board directly during programming. Try a different board.

Is this a corporate laptop with a preclusion to allowing external memory drives, or AV software with similar functionality?​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I'd perhaps also look at the Upper/Lower Filters attached to the USB MSC driver stack.

Watch for performance tools looking to benchmark the external storage, there was an Intel Profiler that did something like that, perhaps a Microsoft one, and there was also a DELL Remote Diagnostic Agent tools that also interfered with normal system operation.

If you have competent IT staff have them review the situation.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..