cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-LINK error: “The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU"

aland
Associate

I have a new Nucleo F401RE board that I have been programming with a Mac and uploading code via the mass storage normally, until yesterday. Now when I connect it using USB to either Mac (12.3) / Windows (11), the device folder has a FAIL.txt file that says “The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU�?. On the board, JP1 is disconnected, JP5 is on U5V side, JP6 is on, and both CN2s are on. I have also upgraded the ST-LINK firmware to the latest, but the problem still persists and it doesn’t allow me to upload code (with an error saying “No space left on device�? despite that my code only takes up less than a tenth of the storage). Furthermore, my Mac also shows that the board volume has in total only 33 kb, instead of the correct 512 kb.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

Can you connect and upload code with STM32CubeProgrammer?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
aland
Associate

Thanks for the reply! I just tried, but STM32CubeProgrammer doesn't seem to be able to connect to the board either using the ST-LINK interface. The error is "No STM32 target found".0693W00000LyAlaQAF.png

TDK
Guru

Did you reassign the SWD pins?

Try connecting with Mode: Under reset.

Not real sure. Boards are not prone to failing randomly. You don't recall doing anything or any events happening which caused the behavior?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".