cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo_H7 board | no st_link detected

Mazz
Associate II

I have recently purchase a Nucleo-H7 board which uses the STM32H723ZG. I have tried to connect the board to my pc in order to flash it and it does not show up in either the CubeIDE or the Cube programmer. I am using windows 10 and all the drivers are updated. I have also tried the workaround I found here about manually copying libusb-1.0.dll to the stlink_server folder. I have installed the latest version of the Cube IDE, the Cube Programmer and all of the drivers needed. I have also uninstalled and installed both the CubeIDE and the prorammer, but still neither of them can detect the board. 
I included screetshots of the debugging config and the programmer. also from the board. please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. 

photo_2024-04-04_09-30-46.jpg

OpenOCD.PNG

programmer- ST-LINK.png

st-link GDB server.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

>>I am pretty sure the cable I am using right now is data cable since I have used it with arduino before.

A cable adequate for USB FS (12 Mbps) might not be sufficient for USB HS (480 Mbps), the ST-LINK/V3 boards use the latter. Use high quality cables suitable for purpose, they are frequently marked as such. Tend to be fatter, with twisted pair wiring and shielding.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Make sure Windows is responding to the cable being plugged in and out and you can see the device in Device Manager. Unless seen there it's not going to be usable elsewhere. 

Try a different cable. Charging Cables won't work if there's no data wires in them. Try other USB ports, avoid hubs and docking stations. 

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Mazz and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

you should use a data and not a charging cable. Also, try throw different USB ports on your PC.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

As @Tesla DeLorean said, check Device Manager - if it's not appearing there, then nothing else is going to see it.

Take a look here:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/no-st-link-detected-problem-when-hp-thunderbolt-3-dock-station/m-p/646467/highlight/true#M24837

That thread also illustrates how Hubs/Docking Stations can cause problems ...

Thanks for your reply. I have tried different cables and usb ports. disconnected my hub as well but no change. 
I am pretty sure the cable I am using right now is data cable since I have used it with arduino before. 

Mazz
Associate II

Also it does in fact not show up in my device manager. so could that be a driver issue?

So does anything at all change in Device Manager when you plug & unplug the board?

@Mazz wrote:

I have tried different cables  

Are you sure they are working data cables - not just charging cables?

Do they work for data transfer with other devices?

>>Also it does in fact not show up in my device manager. so could that be a driver issue?

If nothing appears its a cabling/power issue. The board could be bad. Don't put them on conductive surfaces, or short the pins in any way.

If it appears, but Windows can't associate the VID/PID with a driver, you'll get an instance on the tree with an Unknown or "!" type indication, and you can the associate a driver with it via a suitable .INF file and driver files.

>>I am pretty sure the cable I am using right now is data cable since I have used it with arduino before.

A cable adequate for USB FS (12 Mbps) might not be sufficient for USB HS (480 Mbps), the ST-LINK/V3 boards use the latter. Use high quality cables suitable for purpose, they are frequently marked as such. Tend to be fatter, with twisted pair wiring and shielding.