cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I'm a "rookie" and I've got an STM32F407VET6 board and an STLINK/V2, and I seem to understand both are to be powered via USB; my question is: Would connecting them to the same PC give rise to a conflict, electrical or otherwise ? Thank you !

LBonn.31
Associate II

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The board with an STM32F407VET6 is probably a custom board, isn't it?

If so, then you can easily connect both this board and the STLINK/V2 to a PC at the same time.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

No, the ground is common, the 5V is relative to the same reference.

The authentic ST-LINK/V2 doesn't use the pin 1/2 VTarget for anything other than the buffers/level-shifters

Also there is a supply pin which could power the other board is some circumstances. Pin 19 3.3V out

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LBonn.31
Associate II

To P.B. : Yes, this board is custom (from China), and comes w/ an LCD 320x240 screen ILI9341 driven; when USB-plugged alone on a Win7 PC, it turns on, does some self tests, and then tries to communicate w/ his host (PC). Having no driver of any kind nor info on what it could need, I still wonder what this exchange should contain... I will surely learn about it somewhere, I guess. Anyway, thank you very much for comforting me about electrically connecting both devices together w/o risking damages, I'll soon begin to explore the Cube ecosystem that I've downloaded & installed. Thanks again for caring.

LBonn.31
Associate II

To T.DL. : Ok ! I don(t know about the authenticity of the STLINK/V2 I have, but it 'looks' ok (for what it's worth); once both devices connected, I'll have a look at the voltages present @ JTAG pins 1,2 & 19 on the target board side, as they are accessible. I think I know STM32' GPIO pins are 5V tolerant, but I didn't know STLINK/V2' JTAG pin 19 could provide the 3.3V supply to the target board, thank you for instructing 🙂 Thank you very much for your info.