cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in initializing ST-LINK device in the STM32 Nucleo-144 evaluation board

Jonathan Kim
Associate II

Hi guys

I am using the STM32 Nucleo-144 evaluation board and trying to upload the program by the STM32 ST-LINK Utility.

When I try to connect to the board, the console always shows the following error message: "No target connected," "Can not connect to target!"

At the same time, an Error occurred in initializing the ST-LINK device.

Reason: USB communication error. Please reconnect the ST-LINK USB cable and try again.

I changed the USB cable, but the phenomenon is the same.

And also checked the VDD power on the board, and all of the digital power is in normal operation.

What can I check more to solve the reasons for this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @Jonathan Kim​ ,

Do you have the same issue when your STM32 board is powered by default (JP5 On)?

Please, try to use the STM32 Cube Programmer.

I hope this help you!

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

S.Ma
Principal

Try to plug the USB cable directly to the PC without hub nor deck stations, to factor out other potential issues. Try of course a different cable maker, this happened to be a common issue too.

Jonathan Kim
Associate II

@S.Ma​ We've already tried to plug the USB directly into the PC, but the problem was the same. And also changed the different cable and tried to connect the board, but the disconnection problem with the target board was the same.

@KDJEM.1​ And we tried to connect to MCU with STM32 Cube Programmer to verify FW via USB port. In the Log message, we found that the ST-Link version and board information was available, but the STM32 target board was not detected. In the results, the disconnection to the target board issue was the same.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000biHISQA2.png
_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000biHGqQAM.pngBriefly, I want to know the following, Please anyone informs me:

1. What are the reasons for the disconnection to the target board issue in this case?

2. Is there some history to occur a similar issue on the NUCLEO board? 

3. Isn't any possibility that this issue occurred by bootloader failure in the STM32 target board?

Put the jumpers back on CN4​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Jonathan Kim
Associate II

We have shorted the CN 4 from the backside of the board.

I think that It is the same as putting on the jumpers of the CN4​.
_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000biMEQQA2.png