cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F3348-disco USB connection fails

P_1
Associate II

When connecting a brand new STM32F3348-DISCO board to USB on my MacBook Pro (M1, Ventura), USB communication fails and the ST-Link is not recognised. LD2 flashes brightly red and LD1 flashes hardly visible.

Sometimes the communication works for a very short moment. Updating the ST-Link firmware is not possible since USB communication fails.

Is this a known issue and what can I do?

12 REPLIES 12
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @P@​,

Try to increase the heap size.

For more explanation, I advise you to follow this article to solve the problem.

I hope this help you!

Kaouthar.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @KDJEM.1​ ,

I believe @P@​  talks about the STLink USB connection, not an USB Device implementation (btw. the 'F334 does not even have USB module).

JW

KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello,

Thank you @Community member​ for this observation🙂 , yes, you are right the STM32F334 does not have the USB module.

@P@​ Did you receive an error message? if yes, which message?

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

P_1
Associate II

Hi @KDJEM.1​,

Thanks for the response and Jan thanks for your correct observation.

There is no communication at all between host (MacBook) and STLink on the board. There are no error messages. Sometimes for a brief moment the board seems to connect after which the communication fails again. So not a workable situation.

Host USB works fine since I'm able to connect to a MB1428B (B-G474-DPOW1) board.

Try perhaps with a different PC, or, at least, with a plain dumb USB charger as a power source. The board should come with a preprogrammed demo, which probably blinks the big LED, or something similar - see the board's manuals.

JW

P_1
Associate II

I tried. When using a USB cable without data lines (charging only), the board works as expected. When the cable (a second cable) has communication included, the board fails to start. Both cases happen when using a plain charger as well as the MacBook. Could be a malfunctioning board sample??

Faulty cable?

Too intelligent power supply?

> Could be a malfunctioning board sample?

Not excluded, but I've never seen a Disco out of the box malfunctioning in this way. I don't have a 'F334 Disco, though, nor do I use Apple products.

JW

P_1
Associate II

Faulty cable... no, my Nucleo board doesn't have the problem

Intelligent power supply... no, MacBook and charger show same behaviour.

Thanks so far. I'm afraid I have to scrap the board.

I'd give it a chance with some other PC.

To me, this sounds much like the MacBook and the charger measure the drawn current and choke it if it's more than they expect (e.g. 100mA before enumeration, as USB prescribes, and is usually often ignored by devices), or something like that.

[EDIT] Try to connect the board with JP3 (IDD measurement) removed, and connect JP3 only when board has been fully enumerated by the Mac.

JW