cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue pill driving me crazy

Hans0
Associate II

I'm trying to get the connect working from within STM32Cubeprogrammer through a stlink V2 to a STM32F103C8T6.

After many, many attempts this still does not work. I keep getting: No STM32 target found. If you....etc.
Granted, the ST-LINK V2 device is a clone, which has the latest firmware, and this clone is detected by stm32cubeprogrammer.

I am able to flash the stmf103c8t6 using a serial ftdi323 device, so I am assuming the blue pill is ok. I took a new blue pill, connected it to the stlink dongle and inserted it into my laptop. Started up stm32cubeprogrammer, stlink is detected, but connection always fails.

I have tried the suggestions other people had (like connect under reset, hold reset button while connecting) but nothing helps.

Tried every combination of jumper settings. No relief.
Tried everything in Linux and Windows. Same results.

I don't know what else I can do.
Anyone have any more suggestions, please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

Buy a nucleo board for $10-$20 if your time is worth more than that.

I suspect there's something in the latest (last year or so) versions of STM32CubeIDE that causes fake programmers to fail. You could also use a version from before that, will probably work.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @Hans0, to the community!

Well, you expect the software tools from STMicroelectronics to support a target board with a fake MCU via a clone with a fake MCU?

Such problems have been discussed here very often and there is exactly one sensible piece of advice:

• use an original ST-LINK and a target board with original STM32
  • use tools from the manufacturer of the fake devices - or can you find neither tools nor support there?

I always love how users want to use the free software and libraries from STMicroelectronics but expect it to work with the cheap junk from Asia...

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
AScha.3
Principal III

with the ST-LINK V2 (stick) you need to select: software reset .

+ connect: gnd, swd, swc, 3v3 . 

then it will connect.

here such a st-link:

AScha3_0-1702073869290.png

connect ->

AScha3_1-1702073922074.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
TDK
Guru

Buy a nucleo board for $10-$20 if your time is worth more than that.

I suspect there's something in the latest (last year or so) versions of STM32CubeIDE that causes fake programmers to fail. You could also use a version from before that, will probably work.

Nope. Tried that.

BTW, the MCU is an original one....

Try show what you connect and how... 

Hans0
Associate II

Thanks !

Followed your advice and downloaded version 2.8.0 (linux).
Installed it, hooked up the stlink clone and the MCU, clicked connect and voila,
it's working. And it is working every time after (physical) disconnect / connect.

Thank you, again !

Thanks for confirmation of that. Happy programming.