cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC. memory M24LR 64 ER

Greidimar
Associate II

I would like to know if the M24LR 64 ER memory using NFC already has support for IOsxx.

I am trying to read and write data to this memory but without success, I receive errors 100 and 103.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Hello, 

Unfortunately, iOS doesn't support the extended_flag, so M24LR64 can't be used with iOS (it is OK with Android).

You can replace the M24LR64K with a ST25DV64KC, which is fully supported on iOS. It is pin to pin compatible with the M24LR64ER and can use the exact same antenna, so that the HW doesn't need to be modified. But if you have firmware on a MCU connected to the M24LR64, it will need to be updated to support the ST24DV64KC as the register's addresses and some features are different. There is an application note explaining how to migrate from M24LR to ST25DV to help you if you take that path (AN5643 available on st.com).

Best regards.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Hello Greidimar, 

The M24LR64ER (and M24LR16ER), as explained in the datasheet, only supports modified Read Single Block and Write Single Block commands, that are not fully ISO15693. The difference with ISO standard is that block address must be coded on 2 Bytes and the flag "extended_flag" must be set in the request flag byte.

The M24LR04ER is fully ISO15693 compatible, so if you want to use a M24LR dynamic tag and don't need the full 64kbits memory, you can go for this one which is 4kbits only.

If you need more than 4kbits memory (e.g. 64kbits), then you should go for the ST25DV64KC, which is a fully compatible ISO15693 and is now recommended for new designs instead of the M24LR64ER.

Best regards.

I have a product already developed using the M24LR64ER and I need to read and write using an IPhone 14 with IOS 17, would it be possible to read and write using Swift's "import CoreNFC"?

JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Hello, 

Unfortunately, iOS doesn't support the extended_flag, so M24LR64 can't be used with iOS (it is OK with Android).

You can replace the M24LR64K with a ST25DV64KC, which is fully supported on iOS. It is pin to pin compatible with the M24LR64ER and can use the exact same antenna, so that the HW doesn't need to be modified. But if you have firmware on a MCU connected to the M24LR64, it will need to be updated to support the ST24DV64KC as the register's addresses and some features are different. There is an application note explaining how to migrate from M24LR to ST25DV to help you if you take that path (AN5643 available on st.com).

Best regards.

Greidimar
Associate II

Is the ST25DV04K-I fully compatible with IOS to create an iPhone app?

JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Yes, all ST25DV series (04K, 16K, 64K, 04KC, 16KC and 64KC) are all 100% compatible with iOS.

I highly recommend you use the ST25DVxxKC version instead of the ST25DVxxK version. The K version is not recommended for new design as it is gradually replaced by the newer KC version.

Best regards