cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fundamental ST25DV64 Register Write problems

Brad Goodman
Associate II

Am in the infancy of a proof-of-concept investigation with ST25DV64. I have been able to do some read/writes with NFC without issue - and am working on the i2c side.

We are working with a custom/proprietary system/i2c stack so I don't have much off-the-shelf code to fall back on, but I've written what seems to be a proper implementation of the basic register read/write protocols outlined in ST25DV64 datasheet - and they MOSTLY work.

I can read the NFC NDEF data via i2c from registers at i2c address 0x53, device addresses 0 - 32.I am also getting what appears to be valid Dynamic Configuration registers via device 0x53 register addresses 0x2000-2007 as such:

2000: 88 ff 08 00 00 00 00 00

Which seem to be a valid representation of the initial state of these registers. I can also write and modify one of the GPO bits and read it back

But here's where things get weird:

If I write like an 0x08 to location 2000 - it seems to turn off the high 8 bit. But If I write a 0xff I read back an 0x88. If I write a 0x00 - I always get a 0x08. In other words - I only seem to have control of the high bit in this register.

Write to 0x2002 or 0x2003 will get acked back - but 0x2006 does not.

I can verify with the i2c decoder on my scope that at least the scope believes the signals are good, and I have bumped the I2C speed up and down orders of magnitude (and although at some levesls this stops working) - this specific behavior of these registers remain unchanged.

From what I can tell - these are the first registers that I should be writing to enable other functionality in other registers.

Is there a signaling problem here, or an I doing something complete wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JL. Lebon
ST Employee

If you are using the mailbox to transfer data between RF and I2C, you don't need a synchro block as it is already present in the form of the MB_CRTL_Dyn register.

If you are using the EEPROM to exchange data, then you can use a synchro block. You may then use an EEPROM memory block (but be careful on cycling on this block), or as you suggest, you can write a "synchro message" in the mailbox. But using EEPROM and mailbox at the same time is constraining: when FTM is enabled (MB_CTRL_Dyn[MB_EN]=1), it is not possible to write into EEPROM. So you would need to enable FTM when writing synch message and disabling it again when you want to write into EEPROM.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi,

did you check the DS? I find:

0693W00000Y7wDiQAJ.pngwhich IMO backs your observations.

Regards, Ulysses

Brad Goodman
Associate II

Which DS is this??? It looks very different than the one I have!

Brad Goodman
Associate II

Interesting - the hyperlink for that field goes to the table in the next page - so I never noticed that section on the previous pagethat marked b0-b6 as RO!

Brad Goodman
Associate II

So - I am trying to write to Fast Mailbox Transfer at address 0x2008, and am getting errors. THe obvious culprit would be that I need to enable FTM by writing a 0x01 to address 0x2006. But when I do this - I always get an error (NAK). Is there something more to this that I am missing, or should this alone work?

JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Hello,

Yes, you first need to enable FTM to be able to write into the mailbox.

To enable FTM, this is in fact a two steps process.

You first need to authorize FTM: this is done by writing MB_MODE=1. This is a non-volatile configuration register (I2C address 0x000D in the system memory) so you only need to write it once.

Then only, you will be able to write MB_CRTL_Dyn register to 0x01 (address 0x2006) to enable the mailbox access.

Be aware that once the mailbox is enabled, you can write at address 0x2008, but you can't write anymore in the user memory (EEPROM). You first need to disable the mailbox to be able to write again in EEPROM.

Best regards.

Brad Goodman
Associate II

Thanks - this helps a LOT!

But I must say - the docs are very unclear. Specifically it lists the MB_CTRL_Dyn register as "b0: R always, W always b7-b1: RO"

And goes on to say "MB_EN bit is automatically reset to 0 if MB_MODE register is reset to 0."

So this had me going nuts trying to figure out HOW TO Enable FTM - as it was telling my how to clear this bit but not how to set it, and strongly implying that the "Enable FTM" bit was read-only.

Brad Goodman
Associate II

I'm plugging along well - but am having serious issue with GPO. i.e. The pin seems to be just giving me noise (when I do i2c transactions) i.e. it seems like it's High-Z.

I'm (still) a little confused by the docs (as most of these registers are read-only and it's unclear at least as of yet how to specify things more clearly) - but - the GPO_EN is set on both the GPO and GPO_CTRL_Dyn registers - so - do I have a hardware problem, or is there another register I am missing? I have a pullup on the line which is pulling-up - but I'm getting some noise on the GPO line any time I do an i2c transaction. As I read it - I should ONLY be getting a signal during RF???

i2c-tools> i2cbkg -c 0x57 -r 0x0 -l  16
READ 16 bytes from Addr 0x0 Device 0x57
0000: 80 03 01 00 00 3f 00 3f 00 3f 00 00 00 01 07 00 
OK
READ 16 bytes from Addr 0x2000 Device 0x53
2000: 80 ff 08 00 01 00 a1 53 ff 00 55 aa 66 69 72 73  

JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Hello,

To use GPO, you need to do 2 things in SW:

• Enable the GPO output: this is done by setting bit GPO_EN=1 in both the GPO static configuration (i2c address 0000) and the GPO_CTRL_Dyn regsiter (i2c address 2000). Please note that depending on the version of the ST25DV you have, this bit may be at different location in the Byte (ST25DV64K: GPO_EN is bit 7, ST25DV64KC: GPO_EN is bit 0)
  • Enable an interrupt on the GPO pin: the GPO pin to toggle on an event or a RF command. You need to enable the corresponding event. This is done by setting the corresponding bit in the GPO static configuration (i2c address 0000)

In your case, the GPO static configuration is set to 0x80, which means that GPO output is enabled, but no interruption is enabled. So the GPO pin will always stay at the pull-up level.

You also need to have the correct HW setting. There is again 2 versions of ST25DV: the -IE version, which has an open-drain GPO output (8 pins package version), and the -JF version which have a push-pull GPO output (this one is 12 pins package version). If you have the 8 pins package version which is open-drain, you need to have a pull-up resistor (~15k) tied to Vcc connected to GPO. If you have a 12 pins package, you need to connect a power supply to the VDCG pin and no pull-up.

Best regards.