cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Connect VN750PS-E Driver Circuit

Oido
Associate II

안녕하세요
VN750PS-E 드라이버를 통해 모터를 구동하는 회로를 작성하겠습니다.
INPUT에는 5V MCU 신호가 있고 12V 전압이 VCC에 연결됩니다. OUTPUT에는 모터가 연결되어 있습니다.
하지만 STATUS 핀을 처리하는 방법을 모르기 때문에 이런 글을 남깁니다.
데이터 시트에 따르면 Rprot는 10k 크기의 저항으로 연결되며, 그 전에 MCU의 5V가 아닌 전원 공급 장치에서 추가 5V가 나오는데 맞습니까? 누구든지 좀 더 이해하기 쉬운 그림을 말하거나 그릴 수 있습니까?

STATUS 핀을 제대로 연결할 수 없었던 현재 상황을 게시하고 있습니다.
감사합니다.

AAAA.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

You are absolutely right: a high side switch is connected to the supply voltage to be switched and switches this to the load, which in turn is connected to GND. If you have several high side switches, as in your case, all GNDs are connected together, so everything is correct in your case.

Ground is called ground because it is a common ground. You would now have to carefully explain to your boss that his view is ... ahem... does not quite correspond to the fact. You might ask him for his opinion on a somewhat simplified but exactly similar scenario, which I have illustrated in the following picture. Does a short circuit occur there if you close both switches?

High-Side-Switches_simplified.png

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @Oido, to the community!

as the community is supported worldwide, the common language is English. I have taken the liberty of translating your question using a web-based tool to increase the likelihood of being supported:

hello
I am going to create a circuit to drive a motor through a VN750PS-E driver.
INPUT has a 5V MCU signal and a 12V voltage is connected to VCC. On the OUTPUT, I have the motor connected.
However, I'm writing this because I don't know how to handle the STATUS pin.
According to the datasheet, Rprot is connected with a resistor of size 10k, and before that an additional 5V comes from the power supply, not the 5V from the MCU, is that correct? Can anyone say or draw a picture that is a bit more understandable?

I am posting my current situation as I was unable to connect the STATUS pin properly.
Thanks in advance.

Your drawing is a bit misleading for the motor, but surely you mean that the motor is between OUTPUT and GND, right?

Pin Status: this is an output that either floats or to which a pull-up resistor is typically connected after 5V. The 5V at the pull-up may well be the VDD=5V of the MCU.
In addition, it may be useful to provide a protective resistor if there is a risk of reverse battery or different GND potentials (see data sheet, section 2.5).

Hope that answers your question?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

DRIVER.jpg

First of all, thank you for your response.
After writing the question, I have to post what I translated into English, but it was my mistake.

Thank you for your reply regarding the status pin.
Isn't output the output from the MCU toward the driver?
I tried adding VCC_5V of STATUS pin. Is this the right way?

I also saw the part about the reverse voltage protection regarding Ground. I'm still learning it, so I don't understand it right away.
If you look at Solution 1, there is no recommended resistance value for GND
If you look at Solution 2, the recommended resistance value for GND is 1K, right? But Solution 2 says to connect additional diodes in parallel here. If you use Solution 1, what resistance value should you use? The load current would be around 1-2A if it was normal.

PETER, thank you for helping me

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Pin 1 (INPUT) is an input and is driven by an MCU output (driver_en in your drawing).

And as I wrote before, pin 3 (STATUS) is an output that must be connected to an MCU input If you connect VCC_5V directly to pin 3 as in your second drawing, this will destroy the STATUS pin and thus the VN750.

I don't know what you mean by Solution 1 and 2. The protection functions are explained in the data sheet, section 2.5 to 2.7.

Regards
/Peter

DRIVER2.jpg

I marked 5V in the status pin of figure24 and is that way wrong?

Also, as you say, the arrow is the direction of IN, OUT, right?
And I applied 10k to Rprot by applying 2.7 is this right?

Solution 1 and 2 I mentioned is the content of 2.5 (GND protection network again battery). I saw the content, but it was difficult to understand, so I inquired again.

I'm learning for the first time, but I'm not good enough because I'm doing it alone. Sorry.
Thank you, PETER

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, in your second drawing you had connected Status directly to VCC_5V (which is wrong), while fig 24 shows the pull-up resistor you have now outlined (which is correct).

The arrows shown represent the correct signal direction.

Regarding reverse battery protection, this is important in applications where the battery may be connected with the wrong polarity, e.g. in cars of someone without electrical knowledge. Without this protection, the VN750 could be destroyed by excessive reverse currents. However, if you can rule this out because you have full control over your system as an individual developer, it is not absolutely necessary to install such protection.

If you want to provide reverse battery protection, you can choose from the two variants with or without a diode. Formulas for the resistance range are given for Section 2.5, solution 1. The resistor to be selected depends on the respective application, which is why no resistor is recommended. It is important that the resistors Rprot, the dimensioning of which is described in section 2.7, are also provided for successful protection. Solution 2 with the GND diode is then necessary for inductive loads, as in the case of your motor.

I also recommend reading AN1596.

Regards
/Peter

Thank you.
But I'm actually still not sure how to use STATUS pins.
I'm just guessing that STATUS pins are used to detect overvoltage or overcurrent. I don't know how STATUS pins are used, so I don't know why they also use pull-up resistance. Do you have any explanatory data about what role STATUS pins play? Also, except for ground protection, would it be the right circuit configuration?

I want to control the motor each using multiple VN750PS-E.

SSS.jpg

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

As already mentioned, STATUS is an open drain output at which no voltage can be measured without pull-up when STATUS is inactive, i.e. the pull-up is definitely necessary if you use the pin STATUS.

The signals at the STATUS pin can be found in the data sheet, e.g. fig 6.

Thank you for your answer, this is the last question.
But I didn't understand. I'm so sorry.
In conclusion, if I don't use STATUS pins and protect parts in other ways, do I put STATUS pins as NO CONNECTOR or do I connect them with GROUND?
I found the phrase Safest configuration for used input and status pin is to leave them unconnected.
I'm sorry.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, the sentence you mentioned, which still has a typo in it, refers to the section 2.5 GND protection network against reverse battery and is correct:

Safest configuration for unused input and status pin is to leave them unconnected.

In your case, however, you only do not want to use the STATUS pin and can therefore leave it indeed unconnected.