cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.ioc nightmare on Linux

FFont.2
Associate II

Can someone please shed some light on why opening an .ioc file on Linux is like Russian roulette. Sometimes it works, sometimes you get a blank screen, sometimes nothing at all and sometimes 'Yes!!! it's working'.
Running IDE 1.16.0 on Linux Mint 21.3 with 16GB of memory, 4GHz CPU and 4 monitors. After many re-installs, deleting the meta file, trawling the web etc. etc. I have run out of ideas. Anyone please?
(there are also 'random' download sessions when trying to open an ioc. Sometimes there are downloads (up to 10 minutes, sometimes not).

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

I mean, the real answer which you're unlikely to like is that Linux is secondary to windows as a supported OS, coupled with Linux having so many different versions which need to built separately. Most people are on Windows, so that's what gets the most attention.

The random downloads happen on Windows too. Nobody likes them. It's the IDE checking for updates and who knows what else. Seems to have gotten worse over the years. Probably secondary to the installation issues you're encountering.

Probably will have more luck on one of the officially support Linux versions, if that's possible:

TDK_0-1721584061706.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you TDK. I have been on Linux for many years after wasting days of my life with blue screens of death saying that "An error has occurred" and hours of waiting for Windows downloads to finish. I have never been happier and would never go back to Windows. Maybe after this CrowdStrike affair and the Windows 11 flop, others too will start to question the wisdom of being on Windows.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu releases (but not the very latest Ubuntu) and has been very stable for me for at least ten years. Sadly there is still the view held by many that Windows is the be all and end all. I'm sure that if it weren't for the dependence on a lot of software tied tightly to Windows, many Windows  users would have thrown in the towel by now. I'm sure that as more developers start to support Linux, more people will take the leap into happiness.

Wondering why Microsoft has now introduced WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and why Android and MacOS are Linux based? Linux also happens to power the world's top 500 super computers. Not because Windows is such a great OS!