cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In circuit bootloader via RS232 or USB ?

jas
Associate II
Posted on February 08, 2007 at 20:23

In circuit bootloader via RS232 or USB ?

33 REPLIES 33
jas
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 09:30

Any news on the bootloader ?

anis
Associate II

Hi All,

We are really sorry for this delay for releasing the software.

Finally we have alpha version of the bootloader using the USB , this is called also DFU: Device Firmware Upgrade.

Attached in the zip package you could find the hex file for the bootloader DFU firmware (DFU.hex) + the PC software applet & driver + a sample image (pintoggle) to flash using the bootloader.

Unfortunately, a detailed user manual is still not ready, so I will try to summuarize the needed steps to test the demo.

For testing the demo , you will need to have the STR9-eval board + the CAPS v2.1 utility and the Flash Link JTAG tool for loading the bootloader image and doing a boot bank remapping.

Please find in the following the needed steps:

1- using CAPS tool, change the boot bank in order to boot from BANK1 (secondary 32K flash).

2- using CAPS tool, flash the DFU.hex code in BANK1 at address 0x0.

3- install the PC software applet (setup.exe).

4- power-on the STR9-eval board and plug the USB cable (make sure that JP9 is in the position 2-3), the PC should recognize the usb device and will ask you for driver installation (you will find it in the install folder of the PC applet application).

5- launch the ''DfuSe demonstration'' applet.

6- click on ''Choose'' to load the pintoggle.dfu file to load into the STR9 main flash (pintoggle.dfu is generated from pintoggle.hex uisng the DfuSe file manager utility).

7- click on ''Upgrade'' to load the image.

8- click on ''Leave DFU mode'' to leave DFU and launch the pintoggle demo, you may also launch the pintoggle demo by pressing reset and the ujoystick button then releasing the reset while keeping the button pressed for some time.

Note that the source files for the DFU will be released soon with a complete package (including the user manual).

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

STARM

anil23
Associate II

Hi STARM,

Thanks a lot for the latest code. I will evaluate it today.

Regards...

twinknight
Associate II

You still develop rs232 bootloader for STR910FM32/STR910FW32 ?

jas
Associate II

Thank you Starm & the ST Team.

shangdawei1
Associate II

Thank you very much !

kwun-keat
Associate II

Is there or will there be a DFU for the STR91x for the Keil Eval board using the ULINK cable? The above .zip file is not intended for this board nor for the ULINK cable.

Is there IAP example code available on how to program Bank 0 while in Bank 1?

shangdawei1
Associate II

>>Note that the source files for the DFU will be released soon with a

>>complete package (including the user manual).

Very good. but when can i download it ?

[ This message was edited by: shangdawei on 17-08-2006 17:09 ]

anil23
Associate II

Hi:

We are planning to implement the DFU to our custom board. As I don’t have a copy of the code, I was having problems in understanding its functioning. Do we need to dedicate any pins for the DFU design besides the D+ and D- pins on the ARM9 side? If so, please let me know because this very critical for our design.

Regards,

anis23
Associate II

Hi iamanil,

Sory for the delay...

For the DFU you will need at least two GPIO pins beside the USB data lines (D+ and D-).

The first pin will command the pull up resistor for the D+ line (I suggest you to keep the same schematic used in the STR91x Eval Board)... The second will be used in the selection between the two functional modes (DFU mode and applicative mode) after the MCU reset...

Regards,

AnisAS