cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What sensor or combination of sensors would provide the best accuracy in a range of 1mm - 1100mm?

GPoly.1
Associate II

I have read the data sheets for the VL53L0X, VL53L4CD and VL53L1CX ToF senors. I am unsure which one would be the most accurate as the datasheets present the accuracy data at different conditions.

Ideally the sensor would be accurate over 1mm - 1100mm, but for my purposes shorter range accuracy would be on a higher priority.

I have not used ToF sensors before, so I hope I am asking the right questions to better understand this technology.

10 REPLIES 10
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Thank you for your interest on our products.

Let me know if you can find the answer to your question in this article "how to choose a ToF" which is here.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Thanks Anne,

I have read though the page that you linked.

Reading the data sheets for the sensors I am unsure which would be ideal for short range. I understand that the VL6180CX is meant for short distance, but I have also read that the VL53L4CD can be accurate in shorter ranges as well.

If you could provide some more information that would help me find a high accuracy sensor for a short range that would be greatly appreciated.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

If you need something beyond 50cm then the VL6180 is out.

The VL53L4CD is one of the newest Sensors, and it's also our least expensive.

(And it used invisible 940nm light.)

I'd buy the P-Nucleo-53L4A1 and give it a try. For $56 dollars you can prove it's accurate enough for your application. If it passes that test, you are all set.

The L4CD has a 'bigger brother' the VL53L4CX which is generally for longer distances, and it's more difficult to use. But if you buget allows for it, you might squeek out just a bit more acccuracy.

(Main difference is the L4CX uses Histograms, which is a definitely better at longer distances and maybe just a little more accurate at the short distances. But of course it comes with a driver that is more difficutlt to use, larger, and you lose the ability for the sensor to do all the work. (It's also more expensive.)

So try the L4CD. I'm betting you will be quite satified.

• john
  •  

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
GPoly.1
Associate II

Thank you John for the reply.

I will purchase the P-Nucleo-53L4A1 and run some tests to observe if the sensor will be suitable for my application.

I appreciate the help.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

I had a guy have trouble buying the P-Nucleo-53L4A1. If you can't find it buy the parts separately.

The X-Nucleo-53L4A1 is the sensor part and the Nucleo-F401RE is the MCU part.

Buying them separately is EXACTLY the same thing. It even saves you a few cents.

Good luck,

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
GPoly.1
Associate II

Thanks John for the information.

If I can not find anything I will buy the components separately.

I have a Nucleo-F411RE MCU, will this work as well?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Unfortunately no.

In order to test the system, you need to download the Graphical User Interface (GUI) code from ST.com. And that GUI was written for the F401RE and, alas, the F411RE is a different MCU. It won't work.

For sure when you begin writing code the F411RE is a fine choice, but it won't run the GUI code.

But the F401RE is pretty cheap.

GPoly.1
Associate II

Ok, good to know.

Thanks for the help John.

GPoly.1
Associate II

In addition, I would like to conduct some tests with the ToF sensor (VL53L4CD) on reading the distance of objects as they pass by. For my application, it will be important to know how accurate the distance readings are when the ToF sensor is moving.

Do you know any limitations of the sensor in this type of application?

Is there a speed at which the ToF sensor does not provide an accurate reading?