cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L8CA Data Sheet & Sample

Tamer
Associate II

Hello,

VL53L8CA is active product on your product list but i couldn't find a datasheet and sample.

I have contacted with my local reseller buying termin is 22 weeks. Before buying i would like to have a datasheet and sample. What is the last situation of VL53L8CA?  Thanks in advance, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The ST ToF sensors send a flash of invisible light. And the frequency we use can do damage to one's eyes. So the power of the flash is carefully regulated. But the sun has no such restriction. It generates vastly more 940nm light than we do. It's sort of like using a tiny flashlight on a bright sunny day. One a really bright day, the ToF signal just gets lost in the noise. 

The VL53L8 is the best we have. There is an L9 coming, but I cannot say when. But it won't be this year. 

One the brightest of days, the sensor does work in the shade. Is there any way you can shield either the sensor or the target from the sun? That is my only suggestion. 

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

Indeed no datasheet - just 2 non-specific application notes:

AndrewNeil_0-1707474169744.png

https://www.st.com/en/imaging-and-photonics-solutions/vl53l8ca.html#documentation

☹️

John E KVAM
ST Employee

ST has a few customers who by their parts in massive quantities. And we manage these parts differently. 

The VL53L8CX is the part number you want. It's available in more reasonable quantities.

Unless you actually need a few million parts. If so, please contact ST sales directly. They would love to talk to you.

Cheers,

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

@John E KVAM - the https://www.st.com/en/imaging-and-photonics-solutions/vl53l8ca.html page now seems to have disappeared - was it not supposed to be public?

AndrewNeil_0-1707495090749.png

Thank you for your answering but i am aware about the VL53Lxx series so VL53L8CX's performance is not enough for my project. VL53L8CA announced as 2nd generation as low power and 2 times more distance. That is why i would like to have a datasheet and if possible, sample for continuing to my project. BR, 

John E KVAM
ST Employee

I believe that advertisement indicated the L8s have 2 times more distance than the VL53L5. (Actually, they both have the same 4M max range, but with 2X more light emitted, the VL53L8 sensors have a longer effective distance.)

Sorry I can't help. 

Maybe the next chip will be enough.

- john

Hello, I just would like to add missing information.  Only 2x ranging performance in ambient light levels.

Max range is stil 4m.

@Tamer what are you looking for as performances ?

Hi, 4m range is acceptable for my project but under ambient light, sunshine or another ir emitted devices the 4-meter range is decreasing until 40cm it's unacceptable range for my project.  Instead of low power consumption i would like to have a good performance under other 940nm ir sources.

BR,

The ST ToF sensors send a flash of invisible light. And the frequency we use can do damage to one's eyes. So the power of the flash is carefully regulated. But the sun has no such restriction. It generates vastly more 940nm light than we do. It's sort of like using a tiny flashlight on a bright sunny day. One a really bright day, the ToF signal just gets lost in the noise. 

The VL53L8 is the best we have. There is an L9 coming, but I cannot say when. But it won't be this year. 

One the brightest of days, the sensor does work in the shade. Is there any way you can shield either the sensor or the target from the sun? That is my only suggestion.