cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeIDE, failure to import existing project

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

I've imported a SW4STM example into CubeIDE, it worked fine.

Then I import this already converted project into another CubeIDE workspace and this fails.

The project becomes "orphaned", no toolchain defined.

It looks like CubeIDE creates duplicate Debug config. After import there's two configurations named Debug.

I deleted one and the 'orphaned' error disappeared. But the project still does not build, something is broken. :(

CubeIDE version 1.5.1 on Ubuntu, target MCU is STM32H743

-- pa

5 REPLIES 5
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Just so I get a clear understanding of the issue:

1. You import an SW4STM32 example into an older version of CubeIDE to then import to a newer one? Or from 1.5.1 to another workspace still being 1.5.1?
  2. How do you import the project from one CubeIDE to the other? (Or the other workspace with the same version if that's the case)
  3. Which example did you use? I have access to a Ubuntu machine so I could try to reproduce the problem.
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Hi Markus, thanks for your attention

1. Recent CubeIDE: 1.5.1 , imported an example from Cube package for H7
  2. Import existing project into workspace, with the same CubeIDE.
  3. Example is GPIO_EXTI

-- pa

Hello again!

I tried this with the GPIO_EXTI example located at C:\Users\userName\STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.6.0\Projects\NUCLEO-H743ZI\Examples\GPIO\GPIO_EXTI using STM32CubeIDE 1.5.1 but I wasn't able to reproduce the behavior.

These were my steps:

1. Using workspace 1.5.1 I used Import -> ac6 project -> selecting the GPIO_EXTI folder.
  2. Project imports, converts and builds successfully
  3. Using workspace 1.5.1_2 I used Import -> Existing project into workspace -> selecting the GPIO_EXTI folder
  4. Project imports and builds successfully.

Do you move the project at all for use in "workspace 2" or copy it to a new location? The firmware packages have a lot of references inside the firmware package structure that requires the package to be consistent in its structure.

Did you close STM32CubeIDE after step 2 in my list above?

If I'm missing some step or misunderstanding then please let me know!

Hi Markus,

The 2nd time I don't select "copy project into workspace".

I'd like it to stay in the original place with all its dependencies.

The problem is not that it won't build successfully after 2nd import, but that it even loses some basic features (natures or whatever)

-- pa

"copy project into workspace" is not supported at all because STM32Cube examples are heavily relying on symbolic link like Eclipse feature. Doing local copy is killer here because Eclipse does not manage link remapping properly then.

According to me such is part of documentation : https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00613836-migration-guide-from-system-workbench-to-stm32cubeide-stmicroelectronics.pdf

If expecting to copy locally example material, if hopefully part of supported ones, please rely on dedicated import example feature which is promoted as part of STM32CubeIDE

0693W000008GdlyQAC.jpg