cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM I-CUBE-LRWAN still have a future?

kiwironnie
Associate III

The latest I-CUBE-LRWAN version 1.3.1 hasn't been updated for nearly a year now, whereas previously there were several upgrades per year. As we are using this product in commercial IoT units it is pretty critical to understand whether STM intends to continue upgrading it to keep up with the LoRaWAN specification as it moves forward, particularly as implemented by the latest Semtech stack? Comments from STM would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Generally with these things ST has a "You Use It, You Own It" philosophy.

ST staff likely get redeployed to other projects, the code is provided as-is, and for commercial work you are expected to own the maintenance and changes that third parties might do to their stack as things evolve, along with all the regression testing that might reasonably be expected.

The forum also isn't the place where they would discuss/commit to on-going support. These would likely need to be conversation with your sales rep and the FAEs involved in your project.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
kiwironnie
Associate III

No answers, no response from STM. Doesn't sound promising.

Generally with these things ST has a "You Use It, You Own It" philosophy.

ST staff likely get redeployed to other projects, the code is provided as-is, and for commercial work you are expected to own the maintenance and changes that third parties might do to their stack as things evolve, along with all the regression testing that might reasonably be expected.

The forum also isn't the place where they would discuss/commit to on-going support. These would likely need to be conversation with your sales rep and the FAEs involved in your project.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thanks for the reply.

What you're describing is a downside of STM, compared with say TI, who are always very responsive.

It's pretty clear though now that new effort is going into firmware support for the new STM32WL series, with some code developments there in the stack, well beyond Semtech porting, for example implementation of a sequencer, which appears to be STM coded rather than Semtech modified, and which provides additional lightweight RToS like facilities. Perhaps some of that will find its way back into the more generic  I-CUBE-LRWAN, but who knows.