ICohe.1
Associate III

Started new project based on stm32F769i-disco. However I can't see BSP folder

in the Driver folder that should be there according to this document:

UM2298 User manual STM32Cube BSP drivers development guidelines

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

This is some kind of misunderstanding as UM2298 "details the architecture of BSP drivers (class, component, common and bus) and gives examples of implementation to guide the user developing BSP drivers on a given board." (see pg. 😎

It is also nowhere claimed that the BSP folder is already included, maybe you are confused by the words STM32Cube and STM32CubeIDE.

But of course it is easy to add an existing BSP to your project, e.g. of your given board in Repository\STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0\Drivers\BSP\STM32F769I-Discovery.

Or if you create a project with TouchGFX, the relevant BSP of the selected board is also added automatically.

Does it answer your question?

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
ICohe.1
Associate III

Yes you are right. The root cause for my confusion is me expecting that all relevant software will be included in the project generation in case I select a specific board, where all peripherals initialization code is generated BUT the next level (BSP) is omitted. In other words ,The board is fully defined,CubeIde give you an option to generate all the initialization code based on board's facilities but totally omits the BSP option, which actually already exist but not installed.

Instead, as a (new) developer, I have first to find out that such package exist, download it as a zip file(en.stm32cubef7_v1-16-0.zip) and start to read a bunch of documents to find out where and how to install it. All that before I can start using it.

It is definitely NOT a complain but an idea to improve CubeIDE , which is already an excellent tool, and the main reason I chose STM32F7 as a platform for a new project.

Am I missing anything?

Mike_ST
ST Employee

>> Started new project based on stm32F769i-disco.

When you start a project from a disco board and if you want to use the available BSP, you might want to start the project from the template that is here when you downloaded the F7 package with the IDE or CubeMX (Windows):

C:\Users\$USER$\STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0\Projects\STM32F769I-Discovery\Templates\

ICohe.1
Associate III

This template does not use an ioc file. So there are multiple options to start a new project for the same hardware (the F769i disco board). Which one should I chose and why ?

In this template there are calls to  CPU_CACHE_Enable() and HAL_PWREx_EnableOverDrive(), that are missing from project started from CueIDE (with ioc file).

Can you make sense of it for me ?

Thanks