cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the maximum baudrate of the USARTs on the STM32G441 series?

Stephan Luik
Associate II

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Did you have a look in the data sheet in chapter 6 USART interface characteristics?

What datasheet are you referring to? I have found several documents resembling a datasheet, but none of them mention the USARTS in chapter 6.
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

E.g.  stm32g441cb.pdf, Chapter 5 , p 162, USART interface characteristics

Stephan Luik
Associate II

The USART interface characteristics in chapter 5 of stm32g441.pdf only mention the maximum speed that can be handled by the I/O pins. I found some more information on the USART baudrates in asynchronous mode in chapter 36 (page 1546) of RM0440. Although, this still does not give a simple answer. Assuming 8x oversampling and not using a prescaler, the highest achievable baudrate would be 170 Mhz / 8 = 21.25 MHz - which is about the maximum speed that the I/O pins can handle. I just need 1.5 Mbps, so that should not be a problem. However, when using fractional division to obtain a baudrate, the tolerance on the generated baudrate becomes quite high (3%). That is too much for mainstream applications (1%) and certainly too much for professional applications (< 0.3%). That is something to keep in mind. Since I also need USB, I am thinking about setting SYSCLK to 144 MHz, which is 12 * 12 MHz and 96 * 1.5 MHz. That should give me precise baudrates on USB and on the USART.