cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble getting sensortile working with small cradle

JCrow
Associate II

Not sure if I'm in the right place for this question, but I recently started using the sensortile development kit for a class/project. I've done all the tutorials with the sensor mounted to the expansion cable. However, now my project requires the sensor to be mounted to the small battery powered cradle/case.

I purchased an addition sensortile (STEVAL-STLCS02V1 solder only) for this use so that I had the original to still test things with on the expansion board. So I've soldered the new tile to the cradle and it looks like all the connections are solid. However, when I try to see if it works (by building/debugging datalog project from tutorial 1) I get a "Wrong Device Detected" error.

I'm pretty new at this stuff (hence the class), so I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here. How do I know if the sensortile is mounted to the cradle properly? Is this error due to that, or something else?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

HIi @JCrow​ , did you tested the addition Sensortile you purchased on the cradle expansion board before soldering it on the cradle, to check if it was working at time0? Did you soldered it in the right way and checked n the cradle the continuity between the Sensortile pads and the cradle ones? And did you plug the battery or are you powering the board with the USB cable only?

To check the right orientation, please consider the below picture, from UM2101 user manual:

0690X000009ZgV4QAK.png

Btw, I suggest you the new SensorTile.Box, which has more options especially on the A.I. and sensor fusion, that is good for class training or class projects 😉

Regards

Thanks for the quick reply Eleon. To answer your questions...

1. No, I did not test the additional sensortile on the cradle expansion board, because unfortunately the additional sensor I purchased was the solder only version, so I was unable to use the plug in connection to easily check.
  2. Visually, the soldering looks like it was done properly and in the proper orientation. I have not checked continuity yet between the pads. I do have a multimeter, but again I'm pretty new at this stuff. Could you recommend a resource for a procedure on how to do this?
  3. I did plug the battery in and the red LED illuminates to show it's charging.

In hindsight, when I bought the additional tile, I should have bought another one that could be soldered or plugged into the expansion cradle. That way I could have either tested that one first, or just used my original tile that I know works. Too late now though.

Thanks again for the reply and please let me know if you have any additional advice.

Ok, I'm checking with the SensorTile experts and will get you a feedback in case of interesting news. Regards

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Just checked =) did you correctly plugged the battery (and checked it's correctly supplying)? Could you share the picture of your soldered Sensortile? Regards

So it looks like I'm up and running now with the sensortile in the small cradle. Here's what I did...

I took out the soldering iron and tried cleaning up the connections a bit, even though they looked fine as is, so I'm not sure this was necessary.

Then I connected it back to the nucleo board and my computer, booted up eclipse workbench, imported the datalog project and did the build/debug process.

This resulted in the same "Wrong Device Detected" error. So I then terminated and removed from debug menu.

At this point I was about to just give a go at desoldering the sensor from the board, cleaning it and completely starting over. But I thought I'd give it one more try before resorting to that. On a hunch (what I should have tried before), I ran the "clean project" command in eclipse, then did a build/debug, and just like that the error was gone and I was able to see data from the sensor tile in a terminal window.

So I think all is good now (fingers crossed).

Thanks again for your help though in trying to figure this out for me. Much appreciated. Hopefully this is the last you'll hear from me.