cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] I²C - [STM32CubeL4][1.13.0][stm32l4xx_hal_i2c] Wrong RD_WRN value

phlf
Associate II

I may be mistaken but It appears that the HAL is not computing the correct value for the RD_RWN bit as defined line 6319 of the file stm32l4xx_hal_i2c.c:

/**
  * @brief  Handles I2Cx communication when starting transfer or during transfer (TC or TCR flag are set).
  * @param  hi2c I2C handle.
  * @param  DevAddress Specifies the slave address to be programmed.
  * @param  Size Specifies the number of bytes to be programmed.
  *   This parameter must be a value between 0 and 255.
  * @param  Mode New state of the I2C START condition generation.
  *   This parameter can be one of the following values:
  *     @arg @ref I2C_RELOAD_MODE Enable Reload mode .
  *     @arg @ref I2C_AUTOEND_MODE Enable Automatic end mode.
  *     @arg @ref I2C_SOFTEND_MODE Enable Software end mode.
  * @param  Request New state of the I2C START condition generation.
  *   This parameter can be one of the following values:
  *     @arg @ref I2C_NO_STARTSTOP Don't Generate stop and start condition.
  *     @arg @ref I2C_GENERATE_STOP Generate stop condition (Size should be set to 0).
  *     @arg @ref I2C_GENERATE_START_READ Generate Restart for read request.
  *     @arg @ref I2C_GENERATE_START_WRITE Generate Restart for write request.
  * @retval None
  */
static void I2C_TransferConfig(I2C_HandleTypeDef *hi2c, uint16_t DevAddress, uint8_t Size, uint32_t Mode, uint32_t Request)
{
  /* Check the parameters */
  assert_param(IS_I2C_ALL_INSTANCE(hi2c->Instance));
  assert_param(IS_TRANSFER_MODE(Mode));
  assert_param(IS_TRANSFER_REQUEST(Request));

/* update CR2 register */
  MODIFY_REG(hi2c->Instance->CR2, ((I2C_CR2_SADD | I2C_CR2_NBYTES | I2C_CR2_RELOAD | I2C_CR2_AUTOEND | (I2C_CR2_RD_WRN & (uint32_t)(Request >> (31U - I2C_CR2_RD_WRN_Pos))) | I2C_CR2_START | I2C_CR2_STOP)), \
             (uint32_t)(((uint32_t)DevAddress & I2C_CR2_SADD) | (((uint32_t)Size << I2C_CR2_NBYTES_Pos) & I2C_CR2_NBYTES) | (uint32_t)Mode | (uint32_t)Request));
}

where:

(I2C_CR2_RD_WRN & (uint32_t)(Request >> (31U - I2C_CR2_RD_WRN_Pos)))

seems wrong as it shifts 21 bits to the rights the Request value which may be I2C_GENERATE_START_READ or I2C_GENERATE_START_WRITE as defined in stm32l4xx_hal_i2c.h.

Or I2C_GENERATE_START_READ is already "ORed" with I2C_CR2_RD_WRN by definition. So the function I2C_TransferConfig should be changed to:

static void I2C_TransferConfig(I2C_HandleTypeDef *hi2c, uint16_t DevAddress, uint8_t Size, uint32_t Mode, uint32_t Request)
{
  /* Check the parameters */
  assert_param(IS_I2C_ALL_INSTANCE(hi2c->Instance));
  assert_param(IS_TRANSFER_MODE(Mode));
  assert_param(IS_TRANSFER_REQUEST(Request));

/* update CR2 register */
  MODIFY_REG(hi2c->Instance->CR2, ((I2C_CR2_SADD | I2C_CR2_NBYTES | I2C_CR2_RELOAD | I2C_CR2_AUTOEND | (I2C_CR2_RD_WRN & Request) | I2C_CR2_START | I2C_CR2_STOP)), \
             (uint32_t)(((uint32_t)DevAddress & I2C_CR2_SADD) | (((uint32_t)Size << I2C_CR2_NBYTES_Pos) & I2C_CR2_NBYTES) | (uint32_t)Mode | (uint32_t)Request));
}

where:

(I2C_CR2_RD_WRN & (uint32_t)(Request >> (31U - I2C_CR2_RD_WRN_Pos)))

is replaced with:

(I2C_CR2_RD_WRN & Request)

I am not 100% sure so any feedback about this is highly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @phlf​ ,

We will check your reported issue and come back to you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @phlf​ ,

In fact after double check the current code on L4 is correct.

To explain :

The "(I2C_CR2_RD_WRN & (uint32_t)(Request >> (31U - I2C_CR2_RD_WRN_Pos)))" is used in second parameter of the MODIFY_REG, where second parameter is the clearmask bit :

#define MODIFY_REG(REG, CLEARMASK, SETMASK) WRITE_REG((REG), (((READ_REG(REG)) & (~(CLEARMASK))) | (SETMASK)))

So goal of this "(I2C_CR2_RD_WRN & (uint32_t)(Request >> (31U - I2C_CR2_RD_WRN_Pos)))" is to not clear previous RD/WR in CR2 when update CR2.

Example, when driver use define "I2C_NO_STARTSTOP" which not request to read no write, goal is to not modified previous RD/WR bit.

Only for I2C_GENERATE_STOP, I2C_GENERATE_START_READ, and I2C_GENERATE_START_WRITE, CR2 RD/WR bit must be modified so cleared before update.

Now if you take time to convert/shift all request define, you have this result of clearbit:

(I2C_NO_STARTSTOP >> (31U - I2C_CR2_RD_WRN_Pos)) = 0 => so bit I2C_CR2_RD_WRN is not cleared

(I2C_GENERATE_STOP >> (31U - I2C_CR2_RD_WRN_Pos)) = 0x400 mean equal to I2C_CR2_RD_WRN => so bit I2C_CR2_RD_WRN is cleared before udpate

(I2C_GENERATE_START_READ >> (31U - I2C_CR2_RD_WRN_Pos)) = 0x400 mean equal to I2C_CR2_RD_WRN => so bit I2C_CR2_RD_WRN is cleared before udpate

(I2C_GENERATE_START_WRITE >> (31U - I2C_CR2_RD_WRN_Pos)) = 0x400 mean equal to I2C_CR2_RD_WRN => so bit I2C_CR2_RD_WRN is cleared before udpate

Hope that is clear now.

Please feel free to to share your comments or questions.

Kind Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
phlf
Associate II

I had a mixed feeling about this issue.

Thank you very much for clearing things out.

I will try to take the time to investigate why I do not have the expected behavior on my I²C communication.