Associate
Posted on September 08, 2010 at 13:46

ST-Link Error: Failed to reset ST-Link device

7 REPLIES 7
rv_six
Associate
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:06

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on my board. Have you found the reason for this ''Internal command error'' ??

I have my own board with STM32F103. I have varified several times that the design is correct and the pcb layout is correct.

I am using SWD interface to program the chip. I have spent more than a day trying to debug the board and have resorted to changing the chip which did not solve the problem. The ST-LINK works well in SWD mode on an Olimex dev board that I have used as a guideline to design my own hardware and software, so the ST-LINK is good and it does work in SWD mode.

Thanks.

FH...

rv_six
Associate

Hi,

I have solved my problem:

On my design I did not intend using the internal ADC and did not connect the VDDA to VDD as I thought that VDDA was only used for the internal ADC, my mistake!

The VDDA is also used for the following:

VSSA, VDDA = 2.0 to 3.6 V: external analog power supplies for ADC, Reset blocks, RCs and PLL (minimum voltage to be applied to VDDA is 2.4 V when the ADC is used). VDDA and VSSA must be connected to VDD and VSS, respectively

FH..

weedoug18
Associate II

Hi,

I got exactly the same error with keil and atollic as you.

Im using a stm32vldiscovery board.

It is a hardware problem so?

Thank's for your help

weedoug18
Associate II

Hi clive

Thanks a lot, sorry for the delay.

But it works fine.

The boot pin is only checked at the initialisation of the programm to load the program in the flash or the RAM right?

Thanks a lot Best regards

I got exactly the same error with keil and atollic as you.

Im using a stm32vldiscovery board. It is a hardware problem so?

It is certainly possible to brick the VL Discovery board with an out of control application. The ST-LINK portion can't reset and gain control over the application processor. I added some break-out code to monitor the button on start-up, as I think the problem I saw was with a interrupt storm.

One possible resolution to the bricked VL might be to change the state of the Boot pin so it doesn't run the application.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

The boot pins controls where the processor maps address zero and starts the processor. Either FLASH (0x08000000), RAM (0x20000000), or ROM (0x1FFFF000). They are sampled at reset, and have no control after that.

If the ST-LINK can't gain control of your application, having it start something else should help.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
weedoug18
Associate II

Ok perfect,

thanks for the support!