cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is DMA Double Buffer Mode only Peripheral to Memory?

Mike Hooper
Senior
Posted on July 28, 2017 at 14:40

It appears from the (rather lacking) documentation that the DMA Double Buffer Mode is only a Peripheral to Memory transaction. Is this correct? Or can I use double buffering from memory to peripheral?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on July 29, 2017 at 10:13

Please specify, which part are you using.

AFAIK, the single-port DMA (F1/F0/L1/L4/L0) does not feature double-buffer mode.

I am trying to find a RM with the 'F2/'F4/'F7-style double/triple-port DMA, where textual search for ''double'' would not stumble upon several mentions of both direction being available, including the following table:

0690X00000607gxQAA.png

JW

PS. Amel, RM0090 of 'F0xx, RM0360 of 'F030 and possibly others contain a mention of ''double buffer mode'' in the ADC chapter, which probably ought to be removed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Posted on July 28, 2017 at 15:07

On what part?

I'd assume the implementation will be highly symmetrical. The mechanics are there to ping-pong between two buffers whether the transfer is to or from is a separate and independent step in the sequence.

Not single memory to multiple peripherals.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on July 28, 2017 at 19:01

Hi

Hooper.Mike

‌,

In

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/27/46/7c/ea/2d/91/40/a9/DM00046pdf/files/DM00046pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00046pdf

we say 'A double-buffer stream works as a regular (single-buffer) stream, with the difference that it has two memory pointers. '

So both directions can be used.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on July 29, 2017 at 10:13

Please specify, which part are you using.

AFAIK, the single-port DMA (F1/F0/L1/L4/L0) does not feature double-buffer mode.

I am trying to find a RM with the 'F2/'F4/'F7-style double/triple-port DMA, where textual search for ''double'' would not stumble upon several mentions of both direction being available, including the following table:

0690X00000607gxQAA.png

JW

PS. Amel, RM0090 of 'F0xx, RM0360 of 'F030 and possibly others contain a mention of ''double buffer mode'' in the ADC chapter, which probably ought to be removed.

Posted on July 30, 2017 at 01:16

Ok

Waclawek.Jan

‌, I'll take care to check this.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on July 31, 2017 at 13:10

Thanks all. I did eventually find the above mentioned table in the RM and will be giving it a try this week.