2017 STM8 Wish List

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Posted on January 05, 2017 at 15:21

2017 STM8 Wish List

Dear Community Members & STM8 funs,

BEST WISHES for the New Year!!!

0690X00000605pUQAQ.pngAs done for the STM32 Community

, and to satisfy STM8 users who want to express their STM8 related expectations (like

who already started it in 

:( we would like to hear you and gather all wishes here. So please keep us informed on:

• what you need to make STM8 products more useful for you?
  • what has to be improved on our side?

Again, feel free to express all your expectations!

0690X00000605NyQAI.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

22 REPLIES 22
Posted on April 03, 2017 at 11:51

While I totally agree with you, it seems that the ST does not have strong focus on the STM8 line anymore. For e.g. they did not have anything about STM8 on the Embedded World, the STVD IDE has not been developed since ages etc.

Simon V.
ST Employee
Posted on April 04, 2017 at 08:59

Hi !

Please find the new official announcement for STM8 CubeMx !

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/about/media-center/press-item.html/n3910.html

Enjoy !

Regards,

Simon

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on April 04, 2017 at 09:28

Thank you so much! I hope you are going to add support for the STM8 family to the AC6 System workbench soon. You just need upgrade the GDB to a recent one which has MI interface, the openOCD has a patch to handle the SWIM protocol.

Posted on April 06, 2017 at 10:29

Tried stm8cube. There no code generation function yet? Is this a planned functionality? Will it be using SPL driver fucnctions or direct registers access?

I don't use SPL functions. They are don't make my life easier, because I still need to read datasheet. And C compiler i use (sdcc) doesn't remove unused functions on link time, thus all functions from module included in firmware.

Simon V.
ST Employee
Posted on April 07, 2017 at 15:33

Hi ! For the moment STM8CubeMX main features are product and board selection vs peripheral, IOs alternate function availability, clock tree configuration and power supply consumption estimation. More features will may come in the future. Regarding the code source generation (feature already discussed internaly), for the moment it is not included but I will share your message with our tool development software team. Thank you for your message.

Kind regards,

Simon

Former Member
Associate II
Posted on May 15, 2017 at 03:20

Hi, sorry for my bad english,

Brefore 2013, i used atmel MCU and switch to STM8 to now. i failed in love with stm8 form the first time i meet.

From beginning i using cosmic and stvd to code for stm8, but switch to SDCC after 2 month late, because i working on MACOS almost time. My wish for stm8 include:

- support SDCC and stm8flash more better for Linux/Mac OS. I work a lot of project using SDCC but i not feel peace of mind because SDCC not support STM8 offical. But fortunately almost project work well.

- stm8 can support IoT or have solution or example/ApplicatNote for wireless communicate with IoT device. like AN for stm8 communicate with nRF24l01 for Iot solution

Posted on June 22, 2017 at 09:58

There is really no point for such a tool if it does not generate the initialization code - full SDCC support. of course! Also, start considering DIP cases or at least TQFP cases for STM8 microcontrollers if you want them adopted by students and hobbyists (do you really think that we have the accuracy and production capacity at a machine level?!?!). And of course, long therm support, more than 10 years commitment regarding production. Even at the Microchip level if possible. We really need a good European alternative to the 8bit micros from other continents (America, Asia). Uplift the commercial restriction on the Nucleo boards so those can be used in final products as alternative to Arduino boards (do you realize you stop any interest in your boards right here with this restriction?). Start the same Nucleo series but using STM8 microcontrollers (but the support for them must already be ready ).

BTW, I am exclusively a Linux user and surely I am not alone out there.

And, in support of Marton Miklos, 'add support for the STM8 family to the AC6 System workbench' yesterday if possible.

As a side request, add the possibility to the STM32CubeMX product to generate code also for the Low Level HAL libraries of STM32, at users choice.

MDS
Associate III
Posted on August 10, 2017 at 13:54

I have many issues with the SPI devices on the STM32F7.

1. They need a baud rate generator with a selectable clock input, at least a PLL and Timer out selection. The few bit rates available are not enough to use the SPI as a programmable serial synchronous interface. I am using it to replace the MPC8xx processor SCC device in transparent mode. The STM32 has no equivalent device except for the SPI.

2. This is a big real-time problem. The SPI needs to implement the UDR (TX underrun) interrupt. It is currently only available for the I2S mode. CubeMX generated polling code which is bad for real-time performance. I am using the SPI in slave mode with a potentially slow clock (600 BPS). At this rate, the SPI needs to be polled for many milliseconds before the FIFO and shift register are empty. The UDR interrupt would fix this. The bits are already in the registers, so it can't be that difficult to enable UDR for the SPI.

Posted on August 17, 2017 at 13:28

Hi Merle,

Here is the STM8 wish list...

Although, I also had my side requests regarding STM32...

Posted on August 17, 2017 at 13:30

Where?