cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstaller does not work as expected STM32CubeProgrammer V2.16 (64-bit) on Windows 10

Clampner
Associate

During the installation of the STM32CubeProgrammer creates some registry keys under:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\STM32CubeProgrammer 2.16.0\

One of them is "UninstallString" with the value:

cmd /c start /min cmd /c "C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer\Uninstaller\unscript.bat" & "C:\Users\elkadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS852D4102\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer\Uninstaller\uninstaller.jar" -f -x

If I run this command on in a cmd.exe with the same elevated credentials as the installer was started I get the initial uninstall screen as expected

initial_uninstall_screen.jpg

After clicking on the "Uninstall" button I get the unhandled exception message:

uninstall_exception.jpg

Here is a text version:

exception caught
com.izforge.izpack.api.exception.WrappedNativeLibException: NativeLibException.functionFailed.RegOpenKeyEx
NativeLibException.libInternal.OsErrNumPraefix5 NativeLibException.libInternal.OsErrStringPraefixAccess is denied, at
com. izforge. izpack. event. Registr yUninstallerListener. beforeDelete (Registr yUninstallerListener .java : 136) at
com.izforge.izpack.uninstaller.event.UninstallerListeners.beforeDeletion(UninstallerListeners.java: 110) at
com. izforge. izpack. uninstaller. Destroyer, destroy (Destroyer .java: 192) at com.izforge.izpack.uninstaller.Destroyer.run (Destroyer .java: 155) at
java. lang.Thread, run (Thread .java: 750) Caused by: com.izforge.izpack.api.exception.NativeLibException: Cannot open registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWAREV4icrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\STM32CubeProgrammer.exe. System error number is: 5
System error text is: Access is denied, at com.coi.tools.os.win.Registrylmpl.deleteValueN(Native Method) at
com. coi. tools. os. win. Registr ylmpl. rewind (Registr ylmpl .java : 548) at
com.izforge.izpack.util.os.Win_RegistryHandler.rewind(Win_RegistryHandler.java:405) at
com. izforge. izpack. event. Registr yUninstallerListener. beforeDelete (Registr yUninstallerListener. java: 132)... 4 more
Close

I do not start anything that could cause the "Access is denied" situation in the registry.

I beleieve this behavior is related to https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeprogrammer-mcus/unable-to-uninstall-stm32cubeprogrammer-v2-16-windows-11-64-bit/td-p/670714 

Interestingly, the uninstallation works without any problems if it is executed from the Windows Add/Remove Programs dialog.
Unfortunately, this does not help because the uninstallation is to be called by a dependent uninstaller.

1 REPLY 1
Amine_Jridi
ST Employee

Hello @Clampner,

I have successfully uninstalled the Programmer using that cmdline with admin rights. Please ensure that you are running it as an administrator.

Also, it is possible to install multiple versions of the Programmer without any issues, just make sure to change the installation path for each version.

Thanks,

Amine.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.