cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to read device id from ROM table

fpatr.1
Associate

Hi everyone,

I have a st-link v2 with the STM32cube programmer on a windows 10 PC. My target is a ISP30301 ( nrf 518222) . If i try to connect to the target , it says "Unable to read device id from ROM table". (after the hardware reset is done) . What could be the problem ?

Thanks

the log is

19:05:47 : ST-LINK SN : 50FF70067266535554401967

19:05:47 : ST-LINK FW : V2J37S7

19:05:47 : Board    : --

19:05:47 : Voltage   : 2.95V

19:05:48 : SWD freq  : 4000 KHz

19:05:48 : Connect mode: Power Down

19:05:48 : Reset mode : Hardware reset

19:05:48 : Error: Unable to read device id from ROM table

19:05:48 : Error: Cannot identify the device

9 REPLIES 9

Unlikely to support non-ST hardware

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Try a software supporting non-ST targets with StLinkv2, as pyocd, openocd or bl*ckm*gic.

Dante.1
Associate II

I get that this is a real problem for ST to need to deal with counterfeits out there. But I have to challenge the "solution" of shutting down your developers.

So, I bought an ST-LINK/V2, all in good faith, paid $50 through Amazon. The box appears legitimate. The device appears legitimate. The error messages say NOTHING about any counterfeit chip. I have wasted hours and hours trying to get the damn thing to program my board. I tried CubeIDE, I tried CubeProgrammer, I tried STLink. NONE of them said anything about "not legitimate STM chip and we refuse to let you proceed."

So why does STM think the solution to their problem is to SHUT DOWN their developers?

How can STM possibly condone COSTING TIME and PROGRESS for the companies who make the "mistake" of designing in their chips?

No STM, taking YOUR problem and making it MY problem is NOT the right thing to do!

It is time to create a solution where you take care of your customers first, and counterfeiting second.

-Dan

Is the ST-LINK/V2 here fake, or the chip you're attempting to connect it too?

The post here is about connecting to other chips, in which case a Segger J-Link might be a more appropriate choice.

ATMEL locked down their SAM-ICE too.

It's not ST that's buying the fake/counterfeit product..

Bob S
Principal

</rant>

So what error message(s) ARE you getting. And what chip(s) are you trying to connect to.

There are reports of fake STLink/V2 devices being delivered from (supposedly) reputable distributors, though Digikey was not one that has been mentioned. Does you STLink have Chinese characters on the back? If so, it is (likely) fake. See:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000020jfDLSAY/fake-stlinks-reaching-me-trough-legit-distributorswhich-stcubeprogrammer-version-shall-we-use

Yeah, I've got a handful of those dodgy ST-LINK/V2 in a box here. Need to get motivated enough to look at them.

DigiKey might have an issue with third-party sellers on their platform, not everything is direct from DigiKey.

"Is the ST-LINK/V2 here fake, or the chip you're attempting to connect it too?"

I have no way of knowing since the error messages are obscure and mis-directing. That's part of what cost me so much time.

"It's not ST that's buying the fake/counterfeit product."

I don't know why you would say that except to imply that I'm the one that bought counterfeit product.

I_didn't_buy_any_counterfeit_product! ...but I am evidently the one being punished as if I had.

With CubeIDE (1.12.0) I get:

Error in initializing ST-LINK device.

Reason: (18) Could not verify ST device! Abort connection.

With CubeProgrammer (2.13.0) I get:

Error: Unable to read device id from ROM table

Error: Cannot identify the device

I don't remember with ST-Link, already uninstalled it.

Clearly, the first message calls out the ST-LINK device. Hence I'm wondering why ST is punishing me, when it was Digi-Key that sold me an ST-LINK with a counterfeit chip in it.

No, no Chinese characters on the back of it. It does say "made in China". The lower-case m there is a little suspicious.

Thanks for the link.

Apologies and correction. I went looking for the invoice, and it was Amazon, not Digi-Key. <sigh> It wouldn't be the first time I've gotten screwed by Amazon's "third parties".