cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H753I-Eval2 in DFU mode

TLuke.2
Associate II

Hello,

I'm curious if I am going through the correct procedure to put th H753I eval board in DFU mode. I have the power jumper JP10 on PSU. I then put a jumper on JP3 which is labeled BL_BOOT0 (which as far as I know puts the H7 in DFU mode when pulled high). I then plug in the PSU and then plug in usb cable to my pc and to the eval board. I've tried all three OTG ports, but I get no activity on my pc. When I check device manager, nothing new shows up at all. I've seen other see STM32 BOOTLOADER and STM32 in DFU mode, but I don't see either of these.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tarun
Associate III

Hi,

I have different ST board, but I wanted to specify few things about DFU Mode.

1. To enter into DFU mode, flash memory must be completely blank.

2. So erase the flash and unplug the board USB from the host machine then plug it back.

3. Open Windows 10 -> Settings -> Bluetooth & devices should list your DFU device. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @TLuke.2 

You need to set BOOT0 to high to invoke internal DFU and reset MCU then keep BOOT0 high for duration of the test. 
Then you start STM32CubeProgrammer and connect to device via UART in DFU mode and load firmware to programmer and tick "Run After Programming"

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

TLuke.2
Associate II

Thanks, but I forgot to specify, I'm trying to specifically enter DFU via USB and not UART. Under the USB heading in cube programmer, I just see No DFU Detected. On the eval board, I've pulled the BOOT0 pin high and reset the MCU to no avail.

TLuke.2
Associate II

Does anyone have any other insight on this? I should note I'm on Windows 11, but have also tried it on a machine running Windows 10. This question is specifically for DFU mode using USB and not UART.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Are you sure that no USB device is detected by Windows? (not necessary named "DFU")

Absolutely 100% sure

Tarun
Associate III

Hi,

I have different ST board, but I wanted to specify few things about DFU Mode.

1. To enter into DFU mode, flash memory must be completely blank.

2. So erase the flash and unplug the board USB from the host machine then plug it back.

3. Open Windows 10 -> Settings -> Bluetooth & devices should list your DFU device. 

FBL
ST Employee

Hello again @TLuke.2 

You may need to install the STM32CubeProgrammer DFU driver by running the “STM32 Bootloader.bat” file.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@FBL but the OP says that no USB device is detected at all?   So there's nothing to install the driver on. Suspecting that BOOT0 is not set well, or the option bytes of H753 for the boot address have been changed and no longer point to the built-in bootloader.

@TLuke.2 Can you connect with CubeProgrammer over SWD and check the boot address for BOOT0=1 in the option bytes?

That did the trick. I didn't know DFU mode required flash memory to be completely blank. Thank you.

Pavel, thank you as well for the suggestions. I'm leaving these in my notes in case of future problems.