cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLink V2 Not recognizing STM32CubeProgrammer? UR connection mode is defined with the HWrst reset mo

zachary.cain
Associate II

zacharycain_0-1691599853462.png

ST Link not recognizing STM Cube Programmer? - From screenshot you can see pulls up single character serial number and has no target information. I can (and did) upgrade firmware to latest on ST Link. Downloaded all drivers etc. Still won't connect. Keep getting "UR connection mode is defined with the HWrst reset mode" log entry.

12 REPLIES 12
zachary.cain
Associate II

Tried changing "Shared" to enabled. The single character serial number disappears and is replaced with "No ST-LINK Detected." Tried changing "Reset Mode" to "hardware Reset"- nothing

Serial Number suggests you have a fake / counterfeit device, ST is not supporting them.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I'm using this at work. Use on multiple other machines with same software and works fine. Not counterfeit - sourced from DigiKey electronics

Or a third party on their store, would suggest you pull your invoice and start an RMA.

Single character serial numbers are highly suggestive of counterfeit ST-LINK's. You have a picture of the back label on the device?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Billy OWEN
ST Employee

Hi @zachary.cain 

The forum moderator had marked your post as needing a little more investigation and direct support. An online support case has been created on your behalf, please stand by for just a moment and you will hear from us.

Regards,

Billy

Hi

I am having the same problem,

I have around 40 different STM32 chips for my projects, but I am disappointed that programing it using stm32Cuteprogrammer is not working.

Even though the st-link works well with your previous version of programmer ( STM32 ST-LINK UTILITY Application)

But STM32 ST-LINK UTILITY does not have code protection feature and other features which made me prefer stm32Cuteprogrammer,

please kindly resolve

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@Nedu Same problem = single character serial number?  Counterfeit ST-LINK?

SBenn.2
Associate II

I have the same problem, my fake STLink V2 has only the ! character as a serial number. I think STM32CubeProgrammer will not work with a device without a reasonable serial number BUT the STLink Utility does; you can download it here: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link004.html it's not as capable as STM32CubeProgrammer but is OK for uploading/downlaoding firmware.  Also as others have pointed out if the SHARED option is enabled in STM32CubeProgrammer and the REFRESH button clicked a serial number then appears and the fake device will then work with STM32CubeProgrammer, but only after upgrading the fake device firmware using STLink Utility - note any message about the device not being in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode just unplug from the USB socket and replug.

SBenn.2
Associate II

Further to my last post I can confirm that fake ST-Link V2 devices can also be detected and work with CubeIDE if the Shared ST-Link box, hidden away at the bottom of the Debug Configuration, is ticked.  My fake device has a Geehy MCU, not CKS or STM, but it does accept genuine STM firmware upgrades although it still displays the single ! character serial number - so maybe it's a hardware design issue - I don't know?

CubeIDE.jpg