cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

on page 95 of manual UM2237 (STM32CubeProgrammer command line interface (CLI) for MCUs) there is a reference to a "programming manual" and a "reference manual." Can you tell me how to acquire these? I can't find them on the web site.

KLock.2
Associate II

This is the text from the manual:

For more information about the device option bytes, refer to the dedicated section in the programming manual and reference manual, both available on www.st.com.

6 REPLIES 6
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Maybe this text should mention DS (data sheet) instead of Programming manual.

The two main documents that describe every STM32 device are DS and RM.

CubeIDE or CubeMX can find them for you.

The PM describes the ARM core of the STM32, instruction set and so on, it does not cover ST-added components such as option bytes,

Latterly the PM have gone over the plumbing of the debug components (SWD, DWT, ETM, etc) in more detail, and are ST's equivalent to ARM's TRM

Contextually they are helpful as ST takes ARM's IP and integrates it, or chooses options for what to pull in or leave out of the overall design.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
KLock.2
Associate II

Thank you both for your help. Do you know if the STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe provides any return codes? I am converting an old program that used ST-LINK_CLI.exe, but I don't see any feedback to indicate success or failure.

Do you have the newest version? IIRC this already has been discussed for older versions.

Since the programmer CLI is used by the debugger to flash the MCUs, it should provide return status at least for flashing commands.

Maybe, try to parse its output.

Return codes would be the way rational implementations would do this, like UNIX and DOS have done for decades.

It's been discussed before, not sure of the current standing of the issue, the tools lock up so much I've stopped bothering to care.

For production grade stuff you'd be better looking at more professional or open tools.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..