cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Read Serial Response timed out.

shiwasreet
Associate II

Hello everyone, this is the command i sent : 

C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer\bin>STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe -c port=COM3 br=115200 rts=high -u 0x08010800 2048 D:\SystemFiles\Chunks\chunk1.bin 

and this is the response i got :

-------------------------------------------------------------------
STM32CubeProgrammer v2.15.0
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Serial Port COM3 is successfully opened.
Port configuration: parity = even, baudrate = 115200, data-bit = 8,
stop-bit = 1.0, flow-control = off
Activating device: OK
Board : --
Chip ID: 0x415
BootLoader protocol version: 3.1

Response received from device: NACK
Device name : STM32L4x1/STM32L475xx/STM32L476xx/STM32L486xx
Flash size : 1 MBytes (default)
Device type : MCU
Revision ID : --
Device CPU : Cortex-M4
RTS: High

UPLOADING ...
File : D:\SystemFiles\Chunks\chunk1.bin
Size : 2048 Bytes
Address: : 0x8010800
Read progress:
±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±± 0%

Error: Read Serial Response timed out.

Error: Error occured during memory read at address 0x08010800
Error: Data read failed

The Questions : What does "Error: Read Serial Response timed out." mean ?

What causes it ?

What changes should I make in the command so that I won't get the error anymore ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @shiwasreet ,

Happy to hear that you found other approaches that worked for you, and I apologize once again for the late reply.

1. This error indicates that the STM32CubeProgrammer did not receive a response from the device within the expected time frame.

2. It can be caused by several factors, such as an incorrect or unstable connection due to loose or faulty cables causing intermittent connection issues... I also noticed the "Data read failed" error, which can be caused by memory protection. This means the memory region you are trying to read might be protected, which is why I asked for the option bytes configuration.

3. Could you please specify if you are using an ST board or a custom board? If you are using a custom board, could you provide details on your UART hardware connection?

Maryem.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Maryem
ST Employee

Hello @shiwasreet ,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I tried the same command on my end and everything seems to be working fine with both versions 2.15.0 and 2.17.0. Could you please attach your option bytes configuration by performing the '-ob displ' command ?

Maryem.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

That's alright Maryem, I've found other approaches to deal with this issue. Still, my questions remain the same. If you can, please answer them. If not, that's alright. 

The Questions : What does "Error: Read Serial Response timed out." mean ?

What causes it ?

What changes should I make in the command so that I won't get the error anymore ?

Hello @shiwasreet ,

Happy to hear that you found other approaches that worked for you, and I apologize once again for the late reply.

1. This error indicates that the STM32CubeProgrammer did not receive a response from the device within the expected time frame.

2. It can be caused by several factors, such as an incorrect or unstable connection due to loose or faulty cables causing intermittent connection issues... I also noticed the "Data read failed" error, which can be caused by memory protection. This means the memory region you are trying to read might be protected, which is why I asked for the option bytes configuration.

3. Could you please specify if you are using an ST board or a custom board? If you are using a custom board, could you provide details on your UART hardware connection?

Maryem.

Hello @Maryem ,It's a jig test with a couple of different types of boards in it. Yes, it's a custom board with STM chip on it. Thanks for your reply, it answers my question.

Thanks

Shiwa