cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Mbed TLS

MStra.3
Associate III

I am considering using MbedTLS in a project. My concern is that the version in STM32CubeMX is 2.16.2 which is quite old (Jun 2019). They just released v3.0.0 last month which I believe supports TLS1.3.

How long does it take for ST to update the version in CubeMX?

How would I go about using a newer version of MbedTLS? Seems I have 2 choices. One would be to build the project with the ST version, then update the files manually with the new version of MbedTLS - and quit using CubeMX. Or I could just add the new version of MbedTLS to my project without using the Middleware in CubeMX. Then presumably, I could keep using CubeMX as needed. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks,

Mike.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Danish1
Lead II

I don't think TLS1.3 is ready in MbedTLS 3.0.0

According to https://www.trustedfirmware.org/blog/mbed-tls-30/

• TLS1.2 and DTLS1.2 are supported.
  • A new Long Term Stable release is also expected, to be based on the final 2.x release.
  • TLS1.3 support is being worked on.

I expect ST to base their code on "Long Term Stable release"s.

Hope this helps,

Danish

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Danish1
Lead II

I don't think TLS1.3 is ready in MbedTLS 3.0.0

According to https://www.trustedfirmware.org/blog/mbed-tls-30/

• TLS1.2 and DTLS1.2 are supported.
  • A new Long Term Stable release is also expected, to be based on the final 2.x release.
  • TLS1.3 support is being worked on.

I expect ST to base their code on "Long Term Stable release"s.

Hope this helps,

Danish

Cvan .6
Associate

Hi there,

Sorry for bumping this, but I have a relevant question regarding Mbed TLS and CubeMX.

At the moment we are using CubeMX for software development on our STM32H735VGTX with MBEDTLS version 2.16.2.

In this version, memory leaks have been found when ssl_handshakes fail. Fixes have been applied in newer versions of MBEDTLS regarding this issue.

I have the same question as the topic starter, as it wasn't answered before. How is it possible to keep using CubeMX with a newer MBEDTLS version?

What are the expectations regarding updating MBEDTLS in CubeMX?