cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMX and STM32CubeIDE configuration report output: configuration columns are reversed

tarmasr
Associate III

The otherwise excellent STM32CubeMX tool has a bug in its Configuration Report output (reached via the File > Generate Report command). In the Peripherals and Middlewares Configuration section of the report, the left and right columns of the output are reversed or (more likely) line-wrapped.

See attached screen shot for an example -- this continues for many pages.

I could not find a better way to report this, so could the developer of this STM32CubeMX tool please to look into this issue, because it makes the report output very awkward to interpret.

Note that the STM32CubeIDE suffers from the same problem; it probably uses the same report generator.

Thanks in advance on behalf of all your customers.

-- David Adams

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sarra.S
ST Employee

Hello @tarmasr

I have reproduced the same issue by starting a new project from scratch with your configurations! 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I have reported this issue internally (161430: Internal ticket number

Thank you!

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Sarra.S
ST Employee

Hello @tarmasr, welcome to ST Community, 

>> the left and right columns of the output are reversed

This is really strange, as I usually use the report output and never encountered this! Also, am not able the reproduce the same issue 

SarraS_0-1694623791518.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Issamos
Lead II

Hello @tarmasr 

As @Sarra.S said, the problem is not coming from CubeMX. Most likely that the problem is coming from your PDF editor. I suggest you to change it and try to regenerate the .pdf file and  open it using a new pdf editor ( or Google, Mozilla,...).

Best regards.

II

tarmasr
Associate III

Thanks for both your replies. I have checked the PDF on various PDF viewers: Microsoft Edge, Brave, SumatraPDF, and even on macOS Preview, and the result remains as in the screenshot.

My guess is that it has to do with the default paper format. On my systems, the default paper size is A4, which is narrower than the US Letter format. Did you both use US Letter format by any chance?

Thanks,

-- David

Personally, I just use A4 and it works fine.

Best regards.

II

tarmasr
Associate III

Thanks for confirming that @Issamos, @Sarra.S 

It still doesn't explain why the output gets wrapped onto the next line in all my output; there is nothing unusual that I can see. Compared to @Sarra.S 's sample output the problem starts right after "Power domain:" and then seems to stay out of sync.

Even the "Asynchronous clock mode..." phrase, which really is a configuration value, is being formatted as a subheader instead of a value.

Name/values get out of sync after "Power domain:"Name/values get out of sync after "Power domain:"

It looks as if the bit after "Power domain:" causes the trouble: it is followed by "mode" as well as "Independent mode".

My new guess is therefore that the label should have been "Power domain mode:" followed by its value "Independent mode", but that the label got split into two parts, inadvertently creating a spurious value of "mode", and thus creating a one-off displacement for each subsequent label and value.

@Sarra.S 's output contains no "Power domain:"; @Issamos does yours?

Cheers,

-- David

tarmasr
Associate III

In an attempt to reproduce this issue, I am attaching the .ioc file that the problematic report was generated from. This is also hosted on a public github repository, so there are no confidentiality issues.

@Sarra.S  and @Issamos , would you be so kind to see if a report generated from this project file on your own systems does reproduce the off-by-one columns, starting from the "Power domain:" configuration item?

NOTE: I have appended an extra .txt extension because the attachment was refused with the .ioc extension as not matching the "application/octet" MIME type. Please remove the .txt before opening in STM32CubeMX.

Many thanks in advance,

-- David

Hello @tarmasr 

Using your .ioc file, I've got the same issue.

dao.PNG

@Sarra.S can you confirm this issue and report it to the conserned divion in ST so it can be fixed.

Thanks again for your feedback @tarmasr .

Best regards.

II

tarmasr
Associate III

Thanks @Issamos , your confimation is much appreciated. Many thanks for taking the trouble to answer in the first place and then following this through.

Best wishes,

-- David

Hello @tarmasr 

Your welcome, if your question is answered. Close the topic by choosing a best answer.

Best regards.

II