cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about ADC versus GPIO Analog

Posted on April 03, 2015 at 04:23

In STM32CubeMX, when I click on a pin, the following are two of the choices amongst others are presented to me.

I want to understand what the difference is between ADC1_IN0 versus GPIO_Analog.

I have looked through numerous manuals and all over the Internet and all through ST Microelectronics website and cannot find a definitive answer. What is the difference, if any, why would I use one over the other, it at all?

#gpio-analog-adc #mx-gpio-analog
11 REPLIES 11
ENGIN TANRIKULU
Associate III

Hi @richard239955_s tm1
Could you please explain the difference between GPIO Analog pin and ADC?

The GPIO analogue option is not to be confused with an ADC input, but in principle has two functions:

• Disconnecting the external pin from the digital function. This is useful, for example, to disconnect the Schmitt trigger present at the digital input from a floating input, because this can lead to high-frequency switching of this trigger with associated current consumption.
  • Connecting any analogue peripherals (e.g. opamp, comparator, ADC) that may be present, but do not necessarily have to be in the respective case.

from

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/use-gpio-analog-for-adc-read-value-on-stm32h735/td-p/75324

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".