Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem: STM32CubeMX missing JRE

hu
Associate II
Posted on October 11, 2016 at 12:01

Hi all,

I just downloaded the STM32CubeMX software from st.com and tried to run it on my Mac, but nothing showed up and I got an error message saying ''missing java runtime environment''. Then I installed the latest java, 1.8, but it still doesn't work. 

I tried some debug methods, but non worked.

Please help. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you

#bug-stm32cubemx
6 REPLIES 6
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on October 11, 2016 at 12:08

Hi hu.richard,

Thank you for your feedback. The issue has been reported internally.

-Syrine-

stm32cube-t
Senior III
Posted on October 11, 2016 at 13:16

Hello,

Can you please confirm you installed the JDK version (is mandatory for MAC) and not only JRE version .

Thanks for your feedback

Elwood Downey
Associate II
Posted on October 11, 2016 at 17:11

I reported this way back in July to support with item TECH021111 but no one ever responded. I finally got Cube to run with the following commands typed into Terminal:

export PATH='/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin:/usr/bin:/bin'

open /Applications/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeMX.app

hu
Associate II
Posted on October 13, 2016 at 04:45

Hi, 

I don't know what is the JDK thing.

Could you please provide a link to it?

thank you!

hu
Associate II
Posted on October 14, 2016 at 08:35

Hi downey,

I tried to use the terminal command that you used to launch STM32CubeMX but I doesn't work. It just got an error and exited.

Any ideas?

P.S. Can the mbed online compiler directly download a program onto a Nucleo dev board via USB? If it can then I don't really need STM32CubeMX anymore.

srs84
Associate

I found this post when I encountered this problem (almost 8 years later). In case anyone else stumbles onto this post, here is how I solved it: (I am on Linux Mint 21.3, based on Ubunutu 22.04.4 LTS).

In the Readme.html in the .zip file that I downloaded from ST for STM32CubeMX it mentions that:

STM32CubeMX embeds the Java Runtime Environment (JRE™) required for its execution and no longer uses the one installed on the user machine.

Note: The bundled JRE™ is Adoptium Temurin 17.0.6 and JavaFX-17.0.2. (https://adoptium.net/).

So I went to https://adoptium.net and downloaded their JDK archive. I then created a folder

/home/sean/STM32CubeMX/jre

(you likely need to adjust the root of this path for your setup), and copied the contents of the unzipped adoptium JDK archive to this folder. 

This is possibly overkill, as STM32CubeMX seemingly only needs the `jre/bin/java` binary, but it works.