cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation issues...maybe?

TJM
Senior

This is more of a Linux issue, I think, than an IDE or MX issue. I've installed the latest versions of these applications and, unlike the previous installations, I'm not having the .ioc and .project/cproject files recognized as IDE/MX applications and so they get opened by the text editor of the day instead of the IDE and MX applications. Was there a change in the installs or might this config have been overlooked in the latest versions? Just checking before I spend time finding out how to fix this.

Thanks,

TJM (Tony)

3 REPLIES 3
Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello @TJM​ 

First let me thank you for posting.

In order to further analyze the issue I need more details:

• CubeIDE & CubeMX versions
  • Linux version

In the meanwhile, I'll try to reproduce the described behavior with the latest tools version.

BR,

Semer.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

TJM
Senior

Semer, thanks for looking into this. It's not a big deal but it does make things flow more smoothly if the apps open from MX to IDE when I expect. First, I have the latest ST versions for CubeIDE and CubeMX. I use Debian Bullseye v11.6. I suspect that the mime types that would open files by their '.file-extensions' were either not updated or corrupted by the new ST version installs but I do no discount the more likely possibility that those configs were corrupted by me some other way. I haven't found the issue yet although I have tried unsuccessfully to implement a working mime type for the .ioc and .project/.cproject files. As of now, when I try to open either of these filetypes, they get opened in a text editor instead of the respective IDE or MX application. That happens through my file manager OR by trying to move from a CubeMX project directly to CubeIDE. If it makes a difference, I usually download the latest version files and run the install but this time I updated the applications from within the IDE and MX apps. When the update is run from within the apps it appears there is some confusion about who needs to be in charge, user or root.

Thanks,

TJM (Tony)

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Usually you don't open Eclipse projects by clicking on .project files (this is why these files are hidden)

Instead you open a workspace, then select a project in the Eclipse project explorer, or import a project if it is not there.

Also you can have other Eclipses installed, for other kinds of project (for example, the host Linux, Java etc).

So you don't actually need or want any association for .project files.

The .ioc files also are better opened from the Cube UI, because you can have several Cube versions installed. IMHO it is more convenient to start the needed one manually.

/* The Cube could start the suitable version automatically based on the .ioc version, like the MS Visual studio has "version selector" for .sln files - but Cube is not that sophisticated */

With CubeIDE you also open .ioc files from Eclipse, so again no need for system-wide association.