cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable LWIP without ETH IP in CubeMX

SMari.10
Associate II

Hello,

I am working with a STM32H743 and an Ethernet controller which I drive with SPI.

So I don't use the ETH config in CubeMX (and I can't because pins are already taken by other functionalities), but I'd like to use the LWIP package which can't be enabled without ETH IP configured.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000dDPKcQAO.png
_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000dDPKmQAO.png 

Is it really impossible to enable or is there an other way ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sulian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ghofrane GSOURI
ST Employee

Hello @Sulian Marie​ 

First let me thank you for posting.

In order to enable LWIP in CubeMX ,you require the ETH IP to be activated, and you are unable to use the ETH configuration due to pin conflicts, it might not be possible to enable LWIP through CubeMX in your specific scenario.

In such cases, you would need to manually configure LWIP without using CubeMX. Here's an alternative approach you can consider:

1- Disable the ETH peripheral in the "Peripherals" tab of CubeMX to avoid any conflicts.

2- Manually configure and initialize the Ethernet controller using your custom SPI driver in your application code. This involves setting up the necessary pins, configuring the SPI communication, and handling the low-level communication with the Ethernet controller.

3- Download and include the LWIP source code in your project. You can obtain the LWIP source code from its official website 

4- Extract the source code and include the necessary files in your project.

5- Configure the LWIP stack manually by modifying the relevant configuration files in the LWIP source code. You will need to set up the network interface, IP address, and other protocol-specific settings according to your requirements.

6- Implement the necessary functions to interface your custom SPI driver with the LWIP stack. These functions should handle sending and receiving Ethernet frames, managing interrupts, and handling network interface operations.

7- Initialize and start the LWIP stack in your application code, using the custom SPI driver functions for communication with the Ethernet controller.

By following this approach, you can manually integrate and configure the LWIP stack in your project, even without using the ETH configuration in CubeMX. It requires more manual configuration and coding work, but it allows you to use LWIP with your custom SPI-driven Ethernet controller.

Thx

Ghofrane

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ghofrane GSOURI
ST Employee

Hello @Sulian Marie​ 

First let me thank you for posting.

In order to enable LWIP in CubeMX ,you require the ETH IP to be activated, and you are unable to use the ETH configuration due to pin conflicts, it might not be possible to enable LWIP through CubeMX in your specific scenario.

In such cases, you would need to manually configure LWIP without using CubeMX. Here's an alternative approach you can consider:

1- Disable the ETH peripheral in the "Peripherals" tab of CubeMX to avoid any conflicts.

2- Manually configure and initialize the Ethernet controller using your custom SPI driver in your application code. This involves setting up the necessary pins, configuring the SPI communication, and handling the low-level communication with the Ethernet controller.

3- Download and include the LWIP source code in your project. You can obtain the LWIP source code from its official website 

4- Extract the source code and include the necessary files in your project.

5- Configure the LWIP stack manually by modifying the relevant configuration files in the LWIP source code. You will need to set up the network interface, IP address, and other protocol-specific settings according to your requirements.

6- Implement the necessary functions to interface your custom SPI driver with the LWIP stack. These functions should handle sending and receiving Ethernet frames, managing interrupts, and handling network interface operations.

7- Initialize and start the LWIP stack in your application code, using the custom SPI driver functions for communication with the Ethernet controller.

By following this approach, you can manually integrate and configure the LWIP stack in your project, even without using the ETH configuration in CubeMX. It requires more manual configuration and coding work, but it allows you to use LWIP with your custom SPI-driven Ethernet controller.

Thx

Ghofrane

Hello,

Thank you for your fast response and I apology for my late one.

It's what I have done, I have manually integrated lwIP and it works correctly.

Thanks again.

Sulian