cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX hangs on ''Clock Configuration'' tab hanging the whole system

Ildar Mulyukov
Associate II
Posted on February 17, 2017 at 04:44

Hi! I'm using Linux x86_64 with OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.71-b15, mixed mode). The versions affected: 4.19.0, 4.18.0

When I start STM32CubeMX and create a project, everything is fine. But if I click the 'Clock Configuration' tab, the whole X11 session freezes.

Please drop me any idea how to get more info: traces, debug, anything?

#cubemx
29 REPLIES 29
Posted on February 28, 2017 at 17:28

For my curiosity, I tried to find an iso image. But I haven't found it.

But I am thinking that Cube is running in a java virtual machine context.

Thus if an error, or hang, occurs, it should be visible by logging java VM logs.

Just for test, you can try with Oracle java instead of openJDK.

Kind regards

Sirma

Rob.Riggs
Senior II
Posted on March 01, 2017 at 03:01

FWIW, I use Linux (Fedora versions, currently 24) and have never had this problem.  This seems distribution specific.  I do agree about putting the STM32Cube folder under 

$XDG_DATA_HOME. 

Ildar Mulyukov
Associate II
Posted on March 01, 2017 at 07:54

Anyway I made a new log with sending SIGQUIT to Java VM. Hope it'll help.

Attachments :

cubemx.log.zip : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006Hys3&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bDO%2FcnZMLHqHOH88pd1XX4qV7D1PCBR8TSUt.tGM1nULac0&asPdf=false
Posted on March 01, 2017 at 07:36

hi, Sirma!

the ISO images (Live, also can install) are here:

https://en.altlinux.org/Starterkits&sharpmain

I hoped you could advise me how to trace a Java program when it hangs like this. Or get a backtrace on signal or alike.

I would probably try Oracle java but later.

Thanks.

Posted on March 01, 2017 at 09:11

Have you tried with Oracle Java instead of OpenJDK ?

CubeMX wouldn't be the first quasi-commercial application to fail with the latter.

I guess ST doesn't validate Cube against every possible Linux distribution / Java engine combination.

Posted on March 01, 2017 at 09:39

I guess ST doesn't validate Cube against every possible Linux distribution / Java engine combination.

I didn't expect anything like that. And I don't blame ST for this non-working combination. I just humbly asked for help for my particular situation.

And hope that either I get enough info to bugreport to my distro OR help find a pitfall in CubeMX that causes that.

Posted on March 01, 2017 at 10:29

Hello Ildar,

Thanks for the log, but it does not give any clue on what could goes wrong.

By reading it more in detail, it seems that the application is installed on a network drive (/mnt/public/win-apps/STM32CubeMX).

Do you confirm it ?

If this is the case, and for test purpose only, could you install cube on your local drive and redo the test ?

(download the installation zip and run 'java -jar <path/SetupSTM32CubeMX-xxx.exe', then select a local path)

Kind regards

Sirma

Posted on March 01, 2017 at 11:36

I didn't expect anything like that. And I don't blame ST for this non-working combination.

Me neither. This would be quite a lot of work, and initial hardware investment for test platforms.

But switching Java engines is not so tedious, perhaps it gives you a running application.

Posted on March 01, 2017 at 12:19

Sirma,

the /mnt/public is not a network drive.

Posted on March 01, 2017 at 14:07

Not quite sure about your configuration.

Do you run your Linux in a VM, and is

/mnt/public

perhaps a folder shared between host and VM ?