cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[bug report] EXTI IRQ erroneously enabled when initializing in separate .h/.c files

Sune Jensen
Associate II

STM32CubeMX version: 6.10.0

Firmware version: STM32Cube FW_G4 V1.5.1

I have configured a GPIO pin as EXTI and configured that the interrupt should not be enabled when initializing the GPIO, (i.e. removed the check mark from "Generate Enable in Init").

SuneJensen_2-1702456041392.png

If the initialization code is generated in main.c, the interrupt is not enabled (as expected).

// In main.c

static void MX_GPIO_Init(void)
{
  /* ... */

/* EXTI interrupt init*/
  HAL_NVIC_SetPriority(EXTI0_IRQn, 5, 0);

/* ... */
}

However, if the initialization code is generated in separate .h/.c files, the interrupt is erroneously generated.

SuneJensen_3-1702458375834.png

// In gpio.c

void MX_GPIO_Init(void)
{
  /* ... */

/* EXTI interrupt init*/
  HAL_NVIC_SetPriority(EXTI0_IRQn, 5, 0);
  HAL_NVIC_EnableIRQ(EXTI0_IRQn);

/* ... */
}
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sune Jensen
Associate II

Hey Mahmoud

I attached a minimum working example. It did yield some additional clues.

The problem only exists if more than a single pin is configured as EXTI.
If "Generate Enable in Init" is unchecked for all EXTI lines, the code is generated correctly. However, if at least a one line has the option checked, the IRQ is enabled for all lines.

My bug report seems to be a duplicate of https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubemx-mcus/stm32cubemx-6-6-1-quot-generate-enable-in-init-quot-does-not/m-p/84845

I can however add the info that the bug only occurs if initialization code is generated in separate .h/.c files. When initialization is generated in main.c, only the desired IRQs are enabled.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mahmoud Ben Romdhane
ST Employee

Hello @Sune Jensen ,

First let me thank you for posting.

I suggest that you provide your ioc.file for more investigation.

Thanks.

Mahmoud.

Sune Jensen
Associate II

Hey Mahmoud

I attached a minimum working example. It did yield some additional clues.

The problem only exists if more than a single pin is configured as EXTI.
If "Generate Enable in Init" is unchecked for all EXTI lines, the code is generated correctly. However, if at least a one line has the option checked, the IRQ is enabled for all lines.

My bug report seems to be a duplicate of https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubemx-mcus/stm32cubemx-6-6-1-quot-generate-enable-in-init-quot-does-not/m-p/84845

I can however add the info that the bug only occurs if initialization code is generated in separate .h/.c files. When initialization is generated in main.c, only the desired IRQs are enabled.

Hello,

I escalated the problem to CubeMx team in an internal ticket (ID: 168700 ) to take a closer look at this issue.

(PS: ID 168700 is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

Thanks.

Mahmoud.