cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the C++ support in STM32CubeIDE?

norlesh
Associate III

When starting a new project in STM Cube IDE there is an option given to generate C++ instead of C code but when selected I still get the same generated c code... If I wan't to use modern C++ conventions what are my options or should I be looking at another IDE?

3 REPLIES 3
norlesh
Associate III

So from the silence I'm thinking C++ support is there in name only... If that is the case then claiming STM32CubeIDE is an advanced C/C++ IDE instead of a C IDE is like promoting Windows Notepad as a HTML editor... while it may be able to handle the file format it's still a pretty disingenuous claim.

Alireza Safdari
Associate III

Hey @norlesh​ 

Did you find a work around?

mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi norlesh,

What are the expectations? Not sure if another IDE would help?

STM32CubeIDE uses STM32CubeMX to generate code. STM32CubeMX bases code generation on STM32CubeFw packages which are written in C. So most ST developed software is written in C.

C projects in Eclipse world (STM32CubeIDE) are setup with "cnature" in the .project file which sets up gcc to compile C

C projects in Eclipse world (STM32CubeIDE) are setup with "ccnature" in the .project file which sets up g++ to compile C/C++

But there are certainly features that could be added to make C++ development simpler also in Eclipse. ST are also contributors both to GCC and Eclipse OSS-projects. Feel free to make a wish-list!