cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to program Nucleo-64 using Mac/USB, cubeIDE gives "No ST-LINK detected" message.

GBert.4
Associate

I'm trying to program a Nucleo-64 (STM32G070RBT6) using:

• CubeIDE version 1.11.0, project is set up with the target as the above board.
  • MacBook Air, M1 2020
  • micro USB cable connected to board and the Mac

Things I've tried:

• different USB cables
  • different USB ports on the Mac
  • Tried programming another (identical) Nucleo-64 board.

What I see on the board:

• COM LED is red
  • LD3 LED is on (not flashing)
  • LD4 LED is on/flashing.

I press on the 'Play' or 'Debug' buttons in CubeIDE to try to upload my program, but it always gives the "No ST-LINK detected" message, and the board is not programmed.

Am I missing something? Do I need a USB driver for Mac? I did find a USB driver on the ST website, but it is only for Windows.

Any help or suggestions are welcome, thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
CBacc.2
Associate

I'm having the same issue on an Intel based MacBook Pro (2019), running macOS Ventura 13.2.1. In my case the board (STM32L552) doesn't show up in Finder or in the USB Device Tree in System Information. I've tried both USB-C and micro USB but same result. Hopefully someone can help us out!

snigg
Associate III

I am on a M1 MacBook Pro and do have a "No ST-LINK detected" issue.

Strange enough, I can see the programmer in the debug configuration.

I even can use it with the stand alone programmer "STM32CubeProgrammer.app" so I know the programmer works and the USB connection is ok.

As the programmer even shows up in CubeIDE pretty much everything is ok BUT CubeIDE.

Any progress on any ones end?

snigg
Associate III

So I just tried different things. Here one remarkable result:

In the debug configuration under "Debugger" I have a button "Show Command Line" if I take this command copy&paste into a terminal I get the GDB Server working. So now I can go from "Autostart local GDB server" to "Connect to remote GDB server" and leave "localhost" as the server and NOW the IDE can load and start/stop the debugging...

So this is an issue of CubeIDE. It might be an issue with access rights behind the scenes but I see now way to influence this...

Its this command I used

/Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.stlink-gdb-server.macos64_2.0.400.202209281104/tools/bin/ST-LINK_gdbserver -p 61234 -l 1 -d -s -cp /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.cubeprogrammer.macos64_2.0.500.202209151145/tools/bin -m 0 -g

Rim LANDOLSI
ST Employee

Hello @GBert.4​ ,

At first, let me thank you for reporting this issue.

Could you please check this points:

1. Check that STLinkServer is installed.
  2. Try to use cube programmer and check if you can see and connect to your chip. If you can see and connect to the chip,you could double check your IDE debugger settings.
  3. Check that STLink usb drivers are installed , they will be installed with STM32CubeIde installer.
  4. when you plug the board to the PC, It should enumerate as a STLink debug probe in device manager.

I will be waiting for your feedback.

Regards,

Rim

snigg
Associate III

Hi there

In the meantime I fixed the issue for me. Thought I drop by for future visitors.

I completely removed the IDE and redownloaded it. I then executed the driver installation (don't think it was crucial BUT did not hurt).

So from my perspective the IDE probably corrupted itself with an update. This is VERY frustrating but it again shows me the danger of self modifying software. Don't update a development environment if not necessary. This of corse has security implications but thats a discussion for another day.