cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stm32cubeIde: [Startup/subdir.mk:15: Startup/startup_stm32f100rbtx.o] Error 3

Ruslan1
Associate II

Created a simple project for my vldiscovery board in STM32cubeIde. try to compile and get this error message. It seems that the compiler can't find directory Startup in path. Added it to the path list - the result is still the same. Whats that? how to solve?

19 REPLIES 19
turboscrew
Senior III

Usually it's enough to give paths containing blanks, quoted.

MWebj
Associate III

It's not the installer that fails when I give it a path which contains blanks. It's Eclipse itself whch for some reason can't run the compiler when it's installed in a directory which contains blanks. And then it won't help to give the installer a quoted path since Eclipse will figure out by itself where it's installed.

turboscrew
Senior III

I think most of the paths in eclipse - including paths to plugins - can be changed.

Also, thank Microsoft for standard path name it has itself problems of handling...

Please explain step by step how to solve the issue, I'm not an expert.

The program path is C:\Program files.....!

Thanks!

MWebj
Associate III

Depends on what you mean by "resolve".

• To "fix" the issue and to resolve the problem on just your machine then uninstall STM32CubeIDE and reinstall it to the default location C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.0.0\...
  • To "resolve" so that noone in the future has to fall into the same hole again, then you have to go into Eclipse sources and go thru all places it handles paths and make sure it can handle Windows pathstrings correctly. And if this can't be done then the installer should block installation paths which contain blanks

I reinstalled it to C:\ST. The error was disappeared.

Thanks!

p.s. They should notify users not to install to directories with noascii symbols.

I'll be sure to write it under "known issues" in the release notes of the next version of CubeIDE.

Did you change from D:\Calculations\STM32\ to C:\ST and now the error is gone?

No, it's not the workspace path which was the cause of this problem. It was the installation path of the STM32CubeIDE package which may NOT contain blanks. Classic Linux to Windows port bug!

Both Ruslan and I had installed the STM32CubeIDE package in the standard C:\Program Files\… folder which is the obvious place if you want to have some kind of security control where executables are located. Putting executables anywhere else will make your system subject to hostile attacks which is why I choose to install the IDE there.

So I just uninstalled STM32CubeIDE, and reinstalled it to C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.0.0\… and then builds start to work

"Did you change from D:\Calculations\STM32\ to C:\ST and now the error is gone?"

Yes.

GPate.3
Associate

Absolutely Incredible!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has wasted a few hours on this but what can I say, I'm just flabbergasted.