cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE 1.8.0 won't start "An error has occured. See the log file null."

mwb
Associate III

Hi!

STM32CubeIDE 1.8.0 won't start on a machine I and my colleagues are working on.

Unfortunately, only the following error dialog window pops up:

0693W00000Lw6WcQAJ.pngIt's quite hard to debug the issue without even having a log file.

Starting stm32cubeidec.exe from command line yields the following output:

H:\>C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.8.0\STM32CubeIDE\stm32cubeidec.exe
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error initializing storage for Equinox container.
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainer.<init>(EquinoxContainer.java:110)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.Equinox.<init>(Equinox.java:53)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.Equinox.<init>(Equinox.java:46)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup(EclipseStarter.java:315)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:251)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:653)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:590)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1461)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.8.0\STM32CubeIDE\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\.manager\.fileTableLock (Access is denied)
        at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.open0(Native Method)
        at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.open(RandomAccessFile.java:345)
        at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:259)
        at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:214)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.location.Locker_JavaNio.lock(Locker_JavaNio.java:40)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.storagemanager.StorageManager.lock(StorageManager.java:403)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.storagemanager.StorageManager.open(StorageManager.java:716)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getChildStorageManager(Storage.java:2270)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getInfoInputStream(Storage.java:2287)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.<init>(Storage.java:252)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.createStorage(Storage.java:180)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainer.<init>(EquinoxContainer.java:108)
        ... 11 more

I somehow suspect that this is a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) or other Java compatibility issue, though I am not sure about it.

Using Windows PowerShell gives me the following output:

PS H:\> Get-Command Java

CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source
-----------     ----                                               -------    ------
Application     java.exe                                           8.0.2520.9 C:\Program Files\AdoptOpenJDK\jdk-8.0.252.09-hotspot\bin\java.exe

On my local machine I've got another installation of CubeIDE 1.8.0 with another JDK version:

PS H:\> Get-Command Java

CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source
-----------     ----                                               -------    ------
Application     java.exe                                           8.0.161... C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe

I appreciate any hint on how to debug this issue.

Regards,

Matthias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello Matthias!

I noticed this line in the log:

C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.8.0\STM32CubeIDE\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\.manager\.fileTableLock (Access is denied)

This usually indicates an installation not owned by the user. This could still be OK but I would double check with the IT security department that you have all the access rights you need in order to launch STM32CubeIDE including the JRE/JDK.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

Does it work if you run stm32cubeide.exe instead?

Cube ships with its own Java version which it should be using.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
mwb
Associate III

Hi,

no. That's where the pop-up error message originally comes from.

Doesn't make a difference if I start it with a double click of the exe file (or Desktop icon).

• stm32cubeide.exe does not give any stdout/stderr as it seems
  • stm32cubeidec.exe prints a whole lot of messages to stdout or stderr
  • both pops up the message box
  • both show a splash screen for a short moment

Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello Matthias!

I noticed this line in the log:

C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.8.0\STM32CubeIDE\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\.manager\.fileTableLock (Access is denied)

This usually indicates an installation not owned by the user. This could still be OK but I would double check with the IT security department that you have all the access rights you need in order to launch STM32CubeIDE including the JRE/JDK.

Hi Markus,

it seems you were right and spotted the cause of the error.

On that machine I was indeed lacking access rights to the .\configuration folder. Fixing only that did still not solve the problem completely: I was then able to start the IDE. Shortly after startup, I got the following error message: 'An internal error occured during: "Update Job". Profile not locked due to exception (...) .lock (Access is denied)".

0693W00000LwGuoQAF.pngI was finally granted access rights to the whole parent folder STM32CubeIDE. I still don't understand why I don't have these issues on my local machines as both must have been installed by administrators (IT department or colleages with more privileges).

Hopefully posting the details here may help somebody else.

Best regards,

Matthias