cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasoning behind default memory arrangement in STM32H7B0VBTX_RAM.ld linker script?

Georgy Moshkin
Senior II

0693W00000SuMEEQA3.jpgAccording to datasheet, STM32H7B0VBT have 1024Kb of AXI SRAM, it is defined in STM32H7B0VBTX_FLASH.ld. But for some reason the same memory is limited to 128Kb in STM32H7B0VBTX_RAM.ld. I modify linker scripts according to my needs, but maybe I missing something. Is it just an usage example, or there was some reason for assigning only 128Kb?

Disappointed with crowdfunding projects? Make a lasting, meaningful impact as a Tech Sponsor instead: Visit TechSponsor.io to Start Your Journey!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LaurentL
ST Employee

Hello,

I think the Ram was restricted to 128K as the device has 128K of Flash.

In order to not create a project in the whole RAM and then it wouldn't fit into flash.

Anyway, the RAM linker scripts are given besides the Flash linker scripts, they are not used by default.

But I think your point is valid, we can set the whole RAM for debugging purpose.

It will be updated for next release.

Rgds,

Laurent

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Looks like a copy-paste bug.

Probably not, because:

0693W00000SuNpGQAV.jpgRAM size also significantly smaller in the description of STM32H7B0VBTX_RAM.ld

Disappointed with crowdfunding projects? Make a lasting, meaningful impact as a Tech Sponsor instead: Visit TechSponsor.io to Start Your Journey!

Not sure of the whole context of which project(s) this comes from or if it was auto-generated via Cube MX/IDE

Might be transposition of the smaller FLASH size, or the expectation that the image is to be copied from FLASH

The .LD is just a subset of functionality communicated to the Linker, if you think it is wrong or inappropriate for your particular application, change it

@Sara BEN HADJ YAHYA​ 

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LaurentL
ST Employee

Hello,

I think the Ram was restricted to 128K as the device has 128K of Flash.

In order to not create a project in the whole RAM and then it wouldn't fit into flash.

Anyway, the RAM linker scripts are given besides the Flash linker scripts, they are not used by default.

But I think your point is valid, we can set the whole RAM for debugging purpose.

It will be updated for next release.

Rgds,

Laurent