cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with "Symbolics loading was requested but the file was not specified or not found" when uploading debugger info to board

CBarb.1
Associate III

I have a nasty problem with my STM32 Cube IDE on one machine. I had moved the working folder using the Export from STM32 CubeIDE in one machine to another where I used the import tool as I followed the info from STM on the web on how to do this. Although everything seems to compile OK on the other machine when I go to load the file through the debugger I get an error "Symbolics loading was requested but the file was not specified or not found". This is happening with every project file in the workspace. I have gone over the project build properties and debug properties and cannot find an answer or solution to this problem . (see attached screen capture)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.....Thank you.0693W00000D1mvsQAB.png

11 REPLIES 11
mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi,

Q1: How did you export the projects?

Q2: And, how did you import the projects?

Q3: Did you create new debug configurations (.launch-files) for the projects in the new workspace?

CBarb.1
Associate III

Thank you so much for getting back to me, here are the answers to your questions:

A1: I selected all the open projects in my work folder, then I used the export project using a zip archive file which I named “last_projects.zip�?

A2: On my other machine I opened stm32 cube IDE switched t a newly created empty work-space folder and on the Info Center view I selected import project.

I imported the above zip file. After that was done everything looked correctly and when I open one of the projects I was able to compile and build without a problem.

A3: After a successful compilation I opened the debugger and the debugger started its process (the ST-link was already installed and the board was recognized). Towards the end of the initial debug process I got the error showing me "Symbolics loading was requested but the file was not specified or not found"

As far as I know I did not create a new or different debug configuration.

AMcNi.1
Associate

I have also encountered this problem for the first time today. I work on the same projects on two different machines (via Git). This has never been a problem. I just updated STM32CubeIDE on both machines this week (to 1.6.1 from probably an early 2020 version), which may have something to do with it.

On the second machine, I imported using "Open Projects from File System..." which has always worked in the past. I now get this exact message when trying to flash firmware from the IDE. I'm working around it by side-loading the *.bin using the ST-Link utility.

AMcNi.1
Associate

In my case, this issue was solved when I updated both machines to the very latest version. It turns out the machine that was having issues was slightly behind the machine that created the project... there must have a been a breaking change made at some point.

JanssonSoftware
Associate II

Looks to be some breakage in the debug settings from one version to the other. Try to create a new debug configuration and verify correct project and correct path to the "elf"-file in the "Load list" (Startup tab in debug settings).

JYama.1
Associate

Hello.

I came across the same error and got here.

project-> properties-> Run / Debug settings

-> edit

-> c / c ++ Application

I was able to resolve the error by setting the correct elf file in the above setting items.

CBarb.1
Associate III

Thank you all for your answers and hints. I actually never fixed the real problem, basically I re-started the project from scratch using a new project folder and finally got it to work, the problem here is that I had to spend a lot of time to do this and never really knew as to how to directly solve the problem which I think will most likely happen again in the future.

LLr.1
Senior

Same issue for me...

@mattias norlander​ Do you have a lead on this ?

Best regards

If you have debug configurations in the project, do not reuse them after import.

Delete the debug configurations and create new.