cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One byte shifting in transmit data in STM32F072RB while using SPI with DMA

Sudharshan
Associate II

Hi Team,

Recently while working with STM32F072RB , I am using DMA mechanism with SPI. I am receiving a 63 bytes of data continuously from an external system at every 1ms.

In  STM32F072RB, I have enabled two SPI-SPI1 &SPI2. From/to the external system. I have to receive and transmit 63bytes of data simultaneously . I am receiving 63bytes of data in SPI1 and SPI2 happening with no shifting. 

But coming to the transmit part for SPI1 and SPI2, I am getting 63 bytes of data(i.e. frame 1 ), but in byte shifting is happening in this 63 bytes. For example , frame 1's last byte(62nd index position) is coming as 1st byte in the Frame2(0th index position)(checked in logic analyser) .

I am using below function for both SPI's.

HAL_SPI_TransmitReceive_DMA(&hspi2, (uint8_t*) aTxLeftBuffer,

(uint8_t*) aRxLeftBuffer, 63);

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

How could the last byte be from the next transaction? The chip time travels?

Perhaps show a complete example that exhibits the problem. The HAL_SPI_TransmitReceive_DMA function works, you can step through it and see what it does, or load example programs that use it.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi Guru,

Thank you for your response.

The CS pin time is 1 millisecond, during which I need to transmit and receive data from two SPI devices simultaneously.

The problem I'm facing is a one-byte shift: the last byte of the first frame data is appearing as the first byte in the next frame. Additionally, some frames are being missed, resulting in data being received in alternate frames.

Here's the logic I'm using:

while (1) {
while (HAL_GPIO_ReadPin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_4) == GPIO_PIN_RESET); // CS pin for SPI1
while (HAL_GPIO_ReadPin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_4) == GPIO_PIN_SET);

SPI1_Communication();

while (HAL_GPIO_ReadPin(GPIOB, GPIO_PIN_12) == GPIO_PIN_RESET); // CS pin for SPI2
while (HAL_GPIO_ReadPin(GPIOB, GPIO_PIN_12) == GPIO_PIN_SET);

SPI2_Communication();
}

static void SPI1_Communication(void) {
// SPI1 communication
// HAL_SPI_Receive_DMA(&hspi1, (uint8_t*) aRxspi1Buffer, 63);
// HAL_SPI_Transmit_DMA(&hspi1, (uint8_t*) aTxspi1Buffer, 63);
HAL_SPI_TransmitReceive_DMA(&hspi1, (uint8_t*) aTxspi1Buffer, (uint8_t*) aRxspi1Buffer, 63);
}

static void SPI2_Communication(void) {
// SPI2 communication
HAL_SPI_TransmitReceive_DMA(&hspi2, (uint8_t*) aTxspi2Buffer, (uint8_t*) aRxspi2Buffer, 63);
// HAL_SPI_Receive_DMA(&hspi2, (uint8_t*) aRxspi2Buffer, 63);
// HAL_SPI_Transmit_DMA(&hspi2, (uint8_t*) aTxspi2Buffer, 63);
}

Previously, I had issues with receive data byte shifting, which were resolved using this logic. However, I'm still facing problems with the transmit data.

Here's the function I'm using to clear the RX FIFO:

void Clear_RXFIFO(SPI_HandleTypeDef *hspi) {
// Disable the SPI peripheral
__HAL_SPI_DISABLE(hspi);

// Read from the data register until the RXNE flag is reset
while (__HAL_SPI_GET_FLAG(hspi, SPI_FLAG_RXNE)) {
uint8_t dummy = hspi->Instance->DR;
(void) dummy;
}

// Re-enable the SPI peripheral
__HAL_SPI_ENABLE(hspi);
}

I kindly request suggestions and corrections to help me fix this issue.

TDK
Guru

I suspect it's an issue with the CS line. Can you show the issue on a logic analyzer?

I see no code which manipulates CS, just code which waits for it to be toggled. How are those pins changing state?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".