cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user completely lost in bullshittery

ABaaaaaaa
Associate

I've just downloaded the IDE. I have vague memory of using Eclipse with Cube in the past, so I expected smooth start of working. Yet...
It took me a while to find my MCU, because when I wrote a bit of the part name in search field, the suggestions were popping only for a second and I couldn't press them or even memorise the full code. I consider this a bug.
The button for proceeding to Cube interface was a bit hidden since whole Cube uses white background and the button is hidden somewhere in the bottom. 
I couldn't find the generate code button. I know it was somewhere in the past, but I seriously can't find it. Saving does prompt generation (I don't like it but hey at least I can generate code, but I need to change something whenever I want to regenerate it again). That's an UX error.
Then... I was asked to log in. W H Y? Why would I need to log in to use an IDE? I already gave my e-mail and name when downloading the software. Why can I use Cube, but not the actual programming without logging in? Why wasn't I asked to register when downloading it since I would need to log in later anyway? It makes no sense.
Okay, so I made the account and... the only use for it is to write what am I writing, since the IDE failed to download some package. I got an error message explaining that I should go to "Window -> Preferences -> NetWork connection settings" and "Configure my connection settings". There is one step missing to find the NetWork connection settings, so it is yet another UX error encountered in very first minutes of using the STM32CubeIDE.

TL;DR my experience as a new user is terrible. No wonder people stick to Arduino - not only the libraries are easier to use, you also just download it, install it and start working - it's that simple! Make your product at least not buggy for a new user. 

9 REPLIES 9
TDK
Guru

The requirement to log in was added within the past year. We all think it's terrible, too.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

>>No wonder people stick to Arduino

It's a different experience for sure, the Arduino IDE can work really well, but there's a lot of code / libraries behind the scenes that go into making that happen. I'm just not sure there's the kind of motivation / reward structure here for that much effort to be put behind the STM32. There are some STM32 chip / board support under Arduino.

There definitely needs to be more effort here to get the "It Just Works" scores up, and there's a lot of low hanging fruit that would make a big difference to user experience, and support noise, that repeats for years to the point a lot of us just switch off.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Yes, this really needs to die..

Not sure why we can't just do this once, and just have a cookie or provisioning key that identifies a specific install and acceptance of terms. How many are going to be signing in with different credentials?

Oskar_H
Senior

Hello @ABaaaaaaa ,

been there, done that...

You can read other passionate user reactions about this "feature" in some older posts:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/cubeide-forcing-you-to-login-to-st-is-complete-bull-excrement/td-p/581907

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/st-please-stop-login-strategy-in-your-tools/m-p/623924

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubemx-mcus/user-authentication-why/td-p/615814

We are numerous users to cross fingers hoping that ST will remove that in a near future, it really breaks a lot of confidence and has absolutely no added value for us...

@Tesla DeLorean wrote:

Not sure why we can't just do this once

Not sure why it should ever be necessary at all ?

@STOne-32 @Rim LANDOLSI 

Whilst I agree, let me explain why I think it's become a necessity.

I suspect they want to control bandwidth costs, and from malicious actors on the interwebs. I see there being a lot of issues with serving up hundreds of megabytes, or gigabyte files. Having some control and authentication about how the resources are used and scales over an installed base that likely runs into the hundreds of thousands. Compound that with the automation and the constant pull of new material / releases.

I think this allows for the identification of bad actors, and contain/identify users where repetitive downloads fail to complete. Does it need to identify individuals? Perhaps not, but it does permit the ability to reach out to them for specific support or with assistance.

I'd probably have opted for a SSH/SFTP like model rather than HTTP/HTTPS

Some level of provisioning during the initial install would I think address 99.99% of the goals, instead of annoying all of the people, all of the time..

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Maybe the logon also is targeted to users of those STM32 clones (-_-) which should remain unnamed here))  By registering with ST and logging in they acknowledge who is the original one?

the IDE failed to download some package. I got an error message explaining that I should go to "Window -> Preferences -> NetWork connection settings" and "Configure my connection settings". 

This is strange. @ABaaaaaaa are you behind a firewall at work/school?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Oops. My friend in the continental USA just called and complained that he cannot complete the registration on the ST website to use CubeIDE. He created an account, got the "verify email" message, filled his email and password - but got error: myST profile application , error code -102, UNABLE TO CREATE USER, FATAL ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT APPLICATION TEAM.

He used a gmail email address.

STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear @ABaaaaaaa , all, 

Thank you so much for the feedback on your first experience using our Tools , here the IDE.

Much appreciated as it is very detailed and constructive, I’m really sorry that your first experience was a bit disappointing.

@Andrew Neil @Pavel A. @Tesla DeLorean  @Oskar_H 

We are currently discussing internally on how to improve the user experience using the IDE, and find the right options for the login option that will be under study by our Software R&D teams and Marketing. We will be back to you Once we have the conclusions and then closest roadmap.

Cheers,
STOne-32