cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I install X-CUBE-SPN2 in the STM32CubeIDE? I expect that the X-CUBE-SPN2 download can be installed in the IDE that it appears in the .ioc-tab under 'Middleware and Software packs'. Or how should X-CUBE-SPN2 be integrated in a project?

MBaum.7
Associate III

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Foued_KH
ST Employee

Hello @MBaum.2gartner​ ,

Please check this link : How to install and import an X-CUBE Expansion Package with STM32CubeMX?

you also check the user manual UM1963.

Foued

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @MBaum.2gartner​, to the community!

Essentially, this is the same problem that has been discussed here before.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Foued_KH
ST Employee

Hello @MBaum.2gartner​ ,

Please check this link : How to install and import an X-CUBE Expansion Package with STM32CubeMX?

you also check the user manual UM1963.

Foued

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello Peter

This is exactly the same problem as I have. There you told 'Newer CUBE packages from ST are then gradually made installable in CubeMX/IDE'. I expect that the SPN2 package is not too old and therefore it should be installable. Or is this wrong?

If it is not installable, what is the workaround? Can the files be copied 1:1 into my project?

Thanks for your help, Michael

Hi Khalsi

I thought that MX Cube is now integrated into Cube IDE, and therefore an obsolete tool - or is this wrong? What is the sense that some packages work for Cube MX, but not for Cube IDE?

Best regards, Michael

> the SPN2 package is not too old and therefore it should be installable. Or is this wrong?

The package X-CUBE-SPN2, version 1.1.1, dates from 2015, which is ...uhm... quite old.

> If it is not installable, what is the workaround? Can the files be copied 1:1 into my project?

The procedure for integration was also discussed in the thread mentioned above, UM2312, UM2385 and UM2388 are still valid.

Before we moved to making newer packages integrable in CubeMX or CubeIDE, we also put sample projects there. However, these projects use relative paths to the drivers and possibly BSP that are also stored in the package. 

Since the current drivers for the respective STM32 are integrated by CubeMX or the CubeMX included in CubeIDE, you do not necessarily need them from the X-CUBE package. Very likely, however, the BSP (Board Support Package) should be imported into your own project.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Yes, CubeMX is now also integrated into CubeIDE, but CubeMX will continue as a stand-alone tool, partly because the CubeIDE is a complete GUI including GNU GCC compiler, which developers working with ARM Keil or IAR do not need.

Regards

/Peter

Ok, I copied the files in folder 'Drivers' to a new project created in Cube IDE, but this lead to lots of compile errors. One main problem seems to be that there is no configuration for the used hardware (GPIO, UART etc.) in the projects .ioc-file, and therefore the needed HAL-files are not added. The HAL-files in the X-CUBE-SPN2 package are of an older version and not compatible. In the X-CUBE-SPN2 package, there are configs for EWARM, MDK-ARM and SW4STM32, but not for Cube IDE -> how do I get a valid configuration for Cube IDE to use the firmware in the X-CUBE-SPN2 package?

You can import a project for SW4STM32 into STM32CubeIDE, converting it into a CubeIDE project.

Regards

/Peter

Ok, this worked now, Thanks for your help. This specific problem is now resolved from my point of view. 👍

But I am really a bit dissapointed that there is no working example for the actual project format (STM32 Cube IDE) available from ST. Also, I missed a step by step manual to bring the delivered example to life. It would be nice if ST could invest more in this direction.