Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed: Migrating from MicroXplorer to STM32CubeIDE

LuciferD
Associate II

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well.

So, I'm pretty new to ST Microcontrollers and IDEs. I've got a bunch of projects that I've been working on using MicroXplorer. But guess what? MicroXplorer's now outdated. So, I've got to move everything over to STM32CubeIDE.

Can anyone here give me some tips on how to do this? What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks a bunch!

Best,
Luci

8 REPLIES 8
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

AIUI, MicroXplorer was the predecessor of CubeMX - I guess that's where the "MX" suffix came from?

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/microxplorer.html 

@LuciferD wrote:

Can anyone here give me some tips on how to do this? What's the best way to go about it?

It's just a configuration code generator.

You should be able to build & modify the code with any toolchain, such as STM32CubeIDE.

Have you tried it?

Did it generate .ioc files? If so, have you tried just importing them into CubeMX?

LuciferD
Associate II

Hi Andrew,

I wanted to share an update regarding a recent development with the project. When I initially cloned the project from GitHub, I already had the .ioc file generated. However, upon attempting to import the project as is, I encountered errors related to header files and other components.

To address this, I modified my approach. Instead of importing directly, I navigated to File > New > STM32 project from an existing STM32CubeMX configuration File (.ioc). I then included the .ioc file from the MicroXplorer project.

After building the project using this method, I was pleased to find that it compiled successfully without any errors. However, I still have some lingering uncertainty about whether everything went smoothly.

Best regards,

Luci

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@LuciferD The CubeMX, a.k.a. "MicroXplorer" is not outdated at all. It is maintained and works well. If you're used to it, you don't have to change your habits and open the .ioc files in CubeIDE. Just keep using CubeMX. 

LuciferD
Associate II

Hello,

I'm trying to porting my project on STM32CubeIDE and getting this error so I was thinking it's because I'm migrating my project. Can anyone guide me how to resolve that? 

LuciferD_0-1713429103641.png

Best,

Luci

It's better to post messages as text, using the 'code' button:

AndrewNeil_0-1713430018596.png

It's telling you that it can't find the file usbd_cdc.h

So the first thing to check is: does that file actually exist at all ?

If it does exist, is it in a place where the compiler is looking - ie, somewhere in your Include Paths ?

LuciferD
Associate II

Hello,

I just checked my whole directory and I'm unable to find

usbd_cdc.h

in that one so, can you please suggest where to find this file. I mean it's auto generated or what I confused.

So where was it originally in the project you're porting from ?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

The link script (.ld) not found: check the name and location.

Some include files not found: check include paths.